Need bell ringer ideas

Discussion in 'General Education' started by groovymama, Jun 7, 2009.

1. groovymama

groovymama Rookie

Jun 7, 2009

for a 2nd grader & a Kindergartener.
    :thanks:

3. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Jun 7, 2009

Can you clarify what you are looking for and what you mean by bell ringer? I'm not sure what you mean. :)

4. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 7, 2009

5. groovymama

groovymama Rookie

Jun 7, 2009

Something the kids can work on for the first 5-10 min of class. Since I home school, I have to adjust from being mom to being the teacher.

My oldest daughter is in public schools and she said her teachers would put a question or a few on the board and that was what they worked on for the very 1st part of class. I hope this explains it better.
    I have googled bell ringers and nothing I have found is associated with school.
    :thanks:

6. groovymama

groovymama Rookie

Jun 7, 2009

I like those a lot. I'm going to continue to search though since I don't have to have them until August.

7. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jun 7, 2009

Well, honestly, for home schooling, I'm not sure they're quite as needed. Granted, I teach high school, but I use them as a chance to get the kids settled down so I can take attendance, check homework, and take care of any other administrative/paperwork issues. They're a nice warm up on occasion, but if I didn't have the "other stuff" to do, I'm not sure I would use them every day.

8. groovymama

groovymama Rookie

Jun 7, 2009

I am trying keep my children on a schedule that is somewhat alike. Little things like that, I believe will give them some things to talk about. I have my home school year coincided with the PS system here in our county.
    My rising 2nd grader has homework too, about 3 times a week.

This August I will be teaching 2 and not 1 and I think I will need that time at least for a few months so my daughter and I can get used to one another's teaching & learning styles.

9. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 7, 2009

Not sure what the writing abilities would be for 2nd grade, but I love to do Quick Writes for bell ringers. The way it works: Pick a topic & write it on the board. Let's say "What makes you smile from ear to ear". Students have to write 10 sentences about this topic. They get from 10 to 15 minutes to write & then I pick a few to share with the class what they wrote. It's a lot of fun & I have learned so much about my kids through their writings.

Perhaps you can do something like this but adjust it to your grade level.

10. groovymama

groovymama Rookie

Jun 7, 2009

Thank you so much! I can't wait to see what they will shall! Thank you again!

11. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Jun 7, 2009

I have my second graders do a math facts sheet and write their spelling words 2x each morning, except Friday-no spelling since they test that day...I alternate addition and subtraction until about October then intro multiplication and division after the spring semester starts but during my student teaching we rotated a math facts sheet, and writing like the previous thread described

In my kinder student teaching, we had the kids do rainbow abcs- write each letter in the alphabet with a different color marker, look for sight words or specific letters/blends in the newspaper/magazines and highlight them, read library books and use wikki sticks to find sight words/letters, and math manipulative games

12. groovymama

groovymama Rookie

Jun 8, 2009

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! I have been reading and fixing our calender or schedule for the day. This will help so very much!!!

13. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Jun 9, 2009

4x4 sudoku (use colors instead of numbers. I taught my 5 and 6 year olds to do them over Easter)

crossword?

How about telling them to bulid a symmetrical shape using lego?

In my old school every day started with individual reading (using the daily five, even the youngest kids could read after being taught how to read pictures).

Number sequels -count 2s, 4s etc

Riddles

Name states and state capitals

Color a map using 3 colors. The same color can't be side by side.

abcteach has several cut and paste activities to print out.

cut up a comic and tell them to glue back together in right order, color thier favorite picture etc.
    :)
    Good luck!

14. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Jun 9, 2009

We have a daily math and daily language review paper (about 5-6 questions for each category). After students are done with that, they read silently until it's time for morning meeting.

15. groovymama

groovymama Rookie

Jun 10, 2009

I am so thankful!!! I don't fit the regular "home school mold" and with my oldest in public school, I want to home school my younger children in a similar way. Thank you for all the information and keep it coming.