Need awesome sequencing activity

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Beezus, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Nov 5, 2007

I need to come up with an awesome sequencing activity. I am being observed. We are reading Anansi and the Talking Melon.

Here are some ideas I've had:
    I could type up events from the story on strips of paper (copy in random order), have the kiddos cut out and glue in order (& have them illustrate).

I could do kind of the same thing, but have them glue on a strip of paper, illustrate, and then thread the strip through a construction paper "viewer" we make.

What I am not liking about both the ideas is having the events already on the paper for them to cut out and put in order.......

does anyone have any ideas on how I can take this lesson up a notch?:unsure:

:):thanks:thanks!!!!!

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 5, 2007

I have students divide long construction paper into thirds. In the first draw and write something that happened in the beginning. In the middle, draw and write what the problem was in the story, and in the last how did they fix the problem.

4. tgim

tgim Habitué

Nov 5, 2007

In lieu of typing up the important parts, do you have the Teacher Resource book that has 10 Important Sentences? You could have them already cut apart and in envelopes or snack-size baggies - or use library pockets labeled 1 - 10 stuck on the board and walk them through the sequencing part as a group lesson. Do it orally (and sequentially) and have the kids identify which strip goes in which pocket as they line them up on their desk tops. Just be sure they have their glue out already...or have them put them back in the envelope/baggie to take home to "test" mom or dad after they read the story to them at home.
    Good luck!!

5. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

6. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 5, 2007

look at the storytelling one

7. calalily18

calalily18 Rookie

Nov 5, 2007

it seems from your post that you want something where you are not providing them with the important facts. if that is what you're looking for then i think that i have something that might work.

a sequencing activity that i do with a story is to give them a piece of register tape about 3 feet long or so. then i give them as many index cards as i want events. they then have to come up with that many events (say 10 or whatever). they can then meet with a partner and swap cards and compare which events they chose and why. they can clip the index cards onto the register tape and this makes a "timeline" of the sequential order of these events. they can also illustrate their events if they are a quicker finisher and if they are a slower worker then they have to just stick to the writing portion.
    im not sure what grade you teach-- i teach fifth and this works well. i would provide special needs students with a copy of the story.
    hope this helps!

8. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Nov 6, 2007

After discussing what sequencing is, I read 'Walter, the Farting Dog' aloud and then have the kids make a 5 panel comic depicting their favorite scenes in order. They love it!

9. tgim

tgim Habitué

Nov 6, 2007

Ohhh, I love that book, DD! I love the idea of using adding machine tape, too. I might have to try these later in the year with my 2nd graders!
    Actually, one of our state standards for Soc St is to make a timeline. I have them all (3 classes) do one near the end of the year. We hang them all up in the hallways along the tack strip. It usually falls during the last week of school and they brighten up the otherwise bare hall!

10. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Nov 7, 2007

Thanks for all the great ideas! Here's what I've decided to go with (kind of a compilation of these ideas):
    I chose 7 of the 10 Important Sentences, scrambled them, and printed a copy out for each student.
    Each student will get a length of register paper. They will cut apart the scrambled sentences and glue them in order at the bottom edge of the register tape...this will leave room above the sentence for them to draw illustrations.

What do you all think?:up: OR :down:

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2007

I like it...:up:

As an extension for your higher students, they could add in additional details beyond the sentences you provide.

12. tgim

tgim Habitué

Nov 7, 2007

:up:

13. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Nov 8, 2007

Thanks to everyone!
    I have my observation 1 hour from now!
    Wish me luck!!:cool:

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2007

Good luck, Beezus!! Let us know how it goes!!

15. tgim

tgim Habitué

Nov 8, 2007

How did it go??? Tell, tell, tell...

16. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Nov 8, 2007

:)It went very well.....I started out with reading our story, of course, and then moved into the activity. My kids loved it....they were SO engaged! I was able to sit with and support students who needed it. It worked out very well.
    When my principal does observations, she sits towards the back and makes notes. Towards the end of the 30 minutes, she milled around with the students asking questions, etc. She seemed really enthused when she left and said she "would like to see these when they are finished".
    I'm happy. :)
    thanks to everyone for adding their ideas!

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2007

Job well done, Beezus!! I'm glad that everything worked out!