Need assurances on Praxis II 0014

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by Caspian, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Caspian

Caspian Rookie

Aug 5, 2006

I took the Praxis II today and studied everything that was suggested on this site. (I have been lurking for a month now) I took the 0014 content knowledge test today and it was fairly hard. I live in VA where I have to have a 143 to pass. I did fine with English and Math but was left wondering about Science and Social Studies. Overall, I know I missed about thirty-five of the one hundred twenty questions. Is this passing in VA? I remember that with Praxis I, you had to get about two thirds correct. Does the same hold true in Praxis II? Also, some people were talking about calling ETS for quicker test results. Does anyone know how much quicker the results are? On the website, it seems that they will give you the results on the day that they are mailed out. That seems like sort of a waste of twenty-five dollars though. Sorry for the rant, it seems that ETS could give some of these answers out as much as they charge.

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2006

I cannot speak to Praxis II directly, but I can tell you from experience that similar exams typically require you to get 60% to 70% of the raw points, depending on the test. IMHO this is a direct result of the manner in which passing raw scores are set by panels of educators and human nature. Passing scores always seem to fall close to 2/3 of the available raw points. For any reasonable person, requiring anything over 70% will tend to seem too exacting. After all, the test is only supposed to reflect the minimum knowledge required of a beginning teacher. And requiring any under 60% will tend to seem too lenient.

FWIW I did notice that your state's 143 passing score for 0014 is below the average performance range (the middle 50%) published by ETS. So, over 75% of the people who take 0014 would pass in your state, sooner or later.

ETS and other testing agencies give out as little information about the process as possible to prevent people from nit picking them to death and gaming the exam. You aren't their real customer, the states are. The testing agencies are essentially just acting as proxies for the state. The tests are scientifically validated and accepted by the states that require them. And that is all that is important.

FWIW it is not uncommon to feel like one of these tests was hard, or that you didn't pass, and pass.

Yes the $25 to get your results by phone seems like a waste to me. In California, NES which administers equivalent exams called CBEST, will email you unofficial results. I always get the official results in the mail the next day. Of course with Praxis you may have a longer delay. But it is still no more than the time for a piece of first class mail to cross the country.

4. Caspian

Caspian Rookie

Aug 6, 2006

Thank you for the info and affirming what I had heard. I think that overall I will be fine. I know I spent many hours studying for a very random test. To make things worse, I dont take the PLT-so all of my test is on a bubble sheet. It could be scanned in five seconds. I suppose that I should just forget about it for about a month and quit crying about it :D

5. Jessica-GA

Jessica-GA Rookie

Aug 6, 2006

I've heard

that some people when they called for the results were given wrong results. So I didn't bother when I took 0012, but it was a killer waiting when I saw on the ETS website that they had recorded the scores! It took about a week past the date to receive them, but I'm in GA and maybe VA won't be as bad cause it's just coming from NJ I believe. I don't know about 0014 but I know I felt like I didn't do great on 0012 and passed it above what my state's requirements were. I took 0016 yesterday and don't know how I did either, this 4 weeks will stink! At least we start school here so I'll be busy.

Jessica

6. hopetoteach

hopetoteach Rookie

Aug 6, 2006

I just posted earlier today and I think I created my own thread. I didn't realize there was already a Praxis thread out there. Anyway I got some reassuring responses.... Here's what I wrote:

Hi everyone, I am currently in a graduate teacher prep program and I took the Praxis Elementary Content for the first time yesterday. I am so stressed. I don't want to take it again.

Does anyone know how this thing is scored? I think I read on our state website that we need 140 to pass. How does this work with a 120 question test?

Two of my cohort members took the test, thought they failed and ended up passing. I am hoping this is a trend ???

I was breezing through the Language Arts and Math and then when I got into the SS, I started to have trouble. Same with Science.

I've heard that doing well on some sections can help you if you don't do as well on others?

I did study for the SS (knew this would be my weak point as I have been out of school in corporate America for so long), but I really don't think it helped.

I'm really depressed. Thanks for any experience you can share?

7. 1stGradeDreams

1stGradeDreams New Member

Aug 6, 2006

Hey did you take your test at ODU? That's where I took mine. I'm freaking out about my score!:eek:

8. 1stGradeDreams

1stGradeDreams New Member

Aug 6, 2006

Hey Caspian, how do you already know how many questions you missed?

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 7, 2006

Teacher test score reports nearly always use scaled scores. If a multiple choice test has 120 questions and all of them count, then the maximum raw score would be 120, but the scaled score can be whatever the testing agency and the state think it should be. If memory serves, Praxis II 0014 is scored on a scale from 100 to 200, like the old MSAT Content Knowledge. The scaled score allows the testing agency to compensate for the fact that it's very difficult to write two questions (let alone 120) that are exactly equivalent in difficulty.

My recollection is that Praxis II multiple choice questions are generally scored holistically, which means that a worse performance in one area tested can be compensated for by a higher performance in another.

10. Caspian

Caspian Rookie

Aug 7, 2006

I just took the last two minutes left of my test time and went through circling all unknown answers. I added a couple of extras for careless mistakes. I was left with thirty-five overall. Between here and the test, I have looked up the ones that I remembered and a couple have been right. Overall, I would do anything to get some sort of confirmation ahead of time. The thirty-five part may not be correct, but I am sure that it is close. It seeems that the real question now has to do with "field" and "real" questions.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 7, 2006

Big hug, Caspian. But please find something else for your mind to do, okay?

12. fideliaamora

fideliaamora Rookie

Aug 7, 2006

For the "phone results" you have to pay 20-25 bucks. I don't know WHY they charge so much for a simple "you passed", but they do.

I bought the study guide and used it. I didn't focus nearly enough on the Social Studies as I should have, and that is my weakest area. So, that is the one thing I would focus on if you (like me!) know very little about history.

Also, as far as the results for passing are concerned, you need to look at your states requirements. They are available on the ETS website.

13. Caspian

Caspian Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

Yeah, my passing score is 143. I suppose that I still have a bad taste in my mouth from Praxis I. VA has the highest cutoff scores in the nation which leaves you sort of paranoid. I also got the ETS "study guide." It went along the lines of, "go find any textbook that has the following things and in it and study them." Sort of a disappointment for the money. Someone said that they went on the ETS website and it said that their test had already been graded. Which feature lets you know when they have graded a test?

14. SpecEdTeacher

SpecEdTeacher Companion

Aug 8, 2006

when i took the test i was literally sick from it
    i decided that if i failed it, i wasnt going to retake it (as a special ed teacher in nj i dont need it anyway, but taking it makes me highly qualified)
    i was in aruba on vacation when the results came in (can you imagine trying to relax when you KNOW those results are coming?!?!) I was so sure i had failed...turns out, i passed with flying colors

its sounds silly, but just put it out of your mind
    theres nothing you can do now about it anyway

15. kbat

kbat Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

I took the Praxis II test last Saturday. I felt fairly confident with English/SS, but I really think I did poorly on the science and so-so on the math. I studied, especially the math and science and felt that what I studied really wasn't on the test. But it's over and done with and hopefully, I was able to make some educated guesses on the some of the stuff. Other things I really didn't know and had to really just guess. So, good luck with your results.

16. Caspian

Caspian Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

When I was taking all of my practice tests, it was the educated guesses that were usually right. I guess the problem was with the practice, I could just turn to the back and find out if the answer was correct and now I cant. I would venture to say that we all passed since we are this conscientious to be posting about Praxis II days after the test. I really dont want to have to take this test again while student teaching. My college placed me in a school that is over an hour away! I dont know how I would have time to study on top of working and teaching.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 8, 2006

What I tell people in that position is to use the student teaching as part of the study - as one makes lesson plans, one can spare a moment or so to think about what Praxis II question might reflect the material and how it could be answered.

Let me suggest some homework for you:

Go through the old threads on this subforum and look for posts about test taking approaches and test anxiety (or the low-rent version, test jitters). Make a list of techniques and approaches that you think would be useful for your future students, given what you've just been through. If any of those approaches would be useful for you right now, apply them, please, and if necessary pretend that you're doing this for someone else.

And please do something nice for yourself, something that will help you focus a little less on what an ordeal you've been through and a little more on what you accomplished and can be proud of. Okay?

I look forward to hearing from you when the results come out.

18. Caspian

Caspian Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

I've got brownie mix :D

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 8, 2006

Brownie mix works for me! Far as I'm concerned, you don't even have to bake it first... though, golly, there IS chemistry there.

Have a hug, too.

20. Caspian

Caspian Rookie

Sep 1, 2006

Just to update everything--I passed Praxis II. For those who might do a search on this one day:

I took this test (0014) after studying the ETS book for a month. I never really went in depth, just a review. When I took the test, I had about four minutes left over. I went back and counted all of the ones that I did not have a clue about and had to guess. I counted around thirty-five in total that were very questionable. I went home and looked up the answers to all of the ones I had doubts about (and could remember) and I had missed most of them. I still had a 174 on the test after all of the missed questions. Dont let the test scare you into thinking that its that bad, even though the wait sucks. My trouble spots were Science and History-they tend to be very random.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 1, 2006

Well done, Caspian! Great insights! Oh, yes: passing Praxis is a fine thing too...

Don't forget to celebrate properly, please.

22. starting over

starting over Rookie

Nov 15, 2006

I'm going to have to take the Praxis Test 014 in April, 2007. I graduated college in 1985, and have decided to get my Master of Arts in Teaching. I'm totally terrifed of the test, and can't seem to get any clear answers on the best study guides. What do you recommend? Thank you for any suggestions.

23. starting over

starting over Rookie

Nov 15, 2006

Praxis Test 014 - Having test anxiety

I'm pursuing my Master in Arts of Teaching Degree in January, and I've got to take the Praxis Test 014. I've been out of school since 1985, and I have no clue as to where to start studying. I've read all these ads for "miracle secrets" to pass the test, but I truly believe it will take more than secrets to pass. Who has taken it recently? What study guides do you recommend? I'm looking for something inexpensive, yet reliable in giving me the refresher course I need.
    Appreciate any feedback!
    Starting over at 40ish.

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 16, 2006

The Tests at a Glance document for Praxis II 0014 will give you an overview of what you're expected to know; you can download that document by going to http://www.ets.org/praxis, clicking on "Prepare for a Test" under Praxis II, clicking on the link for tests listed by title, and then clicking on the blue five-digit test code (it will end in 0014; ignore the first digit).

From there, look for resources that will help you learn what you need to know without making you crazy. The Internet can be extremely helpful: if there are terms in Tests at a Glance that you don't know and can't comfortably use in a sentence, look 'em up on Google or Answers.com.

If you do better with partners than alone, ask around and find yourself one or more study partners in your master's program. If you're not already in the master's program, perhaps the program will let you post a notice to others who'd like to form a study group.

And if you've got questions about the material, there's nothing wrong with sharing them here.

25. Caspian

Caspian Rookie

Nov 17, 2006

Exactly what was mentioned above. There is really just a bunch of randon info that you answer. Dont sweat missing or not knowing a few since it wont really keep you from passing. I got the book from ETS and Kaplan also has a Praxis series book out as well, although it has both P1 and P2 material in it. Good Luck

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 17, 2006

Looking at what's required in Praxis II 0014 as "a bunch of random info" may increase test takers' frustration levels unnecessarily. Try starting preparation by looking at material you already know something about and seeking connections from what you know to what you need to learn; then look for further connections from what you've just learned to another area with which you're less familiar; and so on. The object is to assume the information's relevant and connected, rather than assuming that it's not.

Feel free to ask questions here: A to Z can make a fine online study group.

27. Marge

Marge New Member

Nov 26, 2006

Praxis ll Social Studies 0081

I took the Social Studies Praxis ll test, 0081, last week and it was a monster. It just seems like it's going to a miracle if I end up passing it. After studying with two Praxis study guides quite a bit, it still threw me. There seemed to be only about a dozen out of 130 questions on the test where I could say those guides really helped.

A lot of the questions were asked in a more difficult fashion than what I expected and there were questions about things I've never heard of so I totally had to guess. On some questions where I could narrow it down to two choices, both questions seemed equally likely answers. The worst part was when the proctor said 10 minutes left, I had just started into the next to last section, economics, and I still had the human behavior section to go. Personally I felt the economic questions were the most difficult.

So, that was my experience with this Praxis test. I read some posts from people who thought they failed, and then found out they passed and that is really encouraging news.

Really dreading a retake.

28. hopetoteach

hopetoteach Rookie

Nov 26, 2006

Hi Marge,

Please don't stress too much. I know its hard as I practically ruined a month of my life waiting for my test scores only to find out that I has passed with plenty of room to spare (so silly in hindsight). Everyone I have talked to (and believe me I did some talkin) seems to have done much better than they thought after leaving the test. Keep your chin up. I'm sure you passed.

Hope to Teach.

29. Caspian

Caspian Rookie

Nov 30, 2006

I would not loose too much sleep over it. When I took that test, there was information on the dynamics of the Doppler effect (college material for me) all the way to wanting to know basics such as the changes in the seasons. I spent entirely too much time wondering what was going to happen with this test. Just review what ETS has and don't really worry about it when you are finished. I know what that is asking, but hindsight will show that you had nothing to worry about. Not all tests are measured the same anyway. I thought that I failed because my test was really hard, but I still passed. Its going to work out fine.

30. starting over

starting over Rookie

Dec 7, 2006

I've been accepted in the MAT Program, and must take my Praxis 014 (content knowledge) test in April, 2007. For all of those who felt as if they failed, did you pass? Did any of your classes review the material with you, or are you left to study on your own? If I don't pass this test, I'll be kicked out of the program. I'm terrified. I don't know where to start studying. I think that I'm so afraid of failing, that I'm procrastinating about picking up a book. I did purchase the Kaplan Praxis. Will it help to practice the Praxis I information in Kaplan, or would it be a waste of valuable time?

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 8, 2006

Praxis I is basic skills. It could help you with the math, but probably won't do much for you in science, language, or history.

From the Tests at a Glance document for Praxis 0014, it seems that the test contains some questions on teaching reading. Teacher-training classes do generally spend some time on that.

You might want to look for inspiration to the science, math, and history threads here on Multiple Subject Tests. It seems that Praxis exams may be more memorization-driven than CSET exams are (that wouldn't be hard, actually), but you may still find useful discussions and resources, including books and sites that will be useful in your classroom after the test is a bad memory.

One good strategy in dealing with teacher-test questions is to think about how you'd help a kid make sense of the questions.

32. starting over

starting over Rookie

Dec 8, 2006

Dear Teachergroupie,
    You are so thoughtful to share your thoughts with me. I've posted twice and you have responded to me both times. You have a way of putting me at ease. Thank you so much for your support.
    Starting Over

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 8, 2006

You're welcome, starting_over. I'm glad I can help.

There was a thread yesterday or today on resources for middle school science: you might find some help there. Look for Web sites that get you excited about science, or (if science isn't your thing) that help you forget you don't like science. If there's a hands-on science museum somewhere near where you are (Google "museum science kid"), I recommend a field trip during which you look for real-world connections with the principles and terminology you're supposed to know. With luck, you'll find yourself beginning to have "Aha!" experiences - "Oh, wow, that's why..." And that will enrich your future teaching, too.

34. Caspian

Caspian Rookie

Dec 11, 2006

Make sure that you study the Math section of the Kaplan book. It has very valuable information about the types of "word games" that Praxis 1 can play in the math section especially. Once you have read that, you will be much more prepared to take on the math portion. Kaplan will show you how to cut through all of the time wasting that can occur if you do not know what the test questions are really asking, Aside from the math section, just read through the rest of the sections since it is not all inclusive anyway. This site is invaluable for help, I wish that I knew about it earlier (before P1 for sure). I failed my math by six points the first time that I took the Praxis 1 and passed everything else. After I got the Kaplan book, I increased my score by 14 points. You'll be fine-but you must stop procrastinating. There will be many people in your "group" that do not study enough for this test and will make it sound impossible to pass, but it is not really that bad. Make sure that you pay attention to what the questions are asking, especially in the math section. Good luck!

35. starting over

starting over Rookie

Dec 11, 2006

Caspian,
    I'm taking the Praxis II Test 014 Elementary Education: Content Knowledge. Will the Praxis I information help me with the Praxis II test?

36. Caspian

Caspian Rookie

Dec 12, 2006

With my Praxis 2, the math section was very similar to the Praxis 1 version, especially with the graphs and being able to translate information. After that, you will be asked different questions from elementary content all the way to college info. It is really not that bad, and don't sweat missing a few here and there. Before the test, I was just reading through basic history and science material. Other than the Math, it couldn't hurt to study over the other P1 stuff, but don't dwell on it. There is an Everything that you need to know series that would help you more. Kaplan was all that I needed though, that and brownie batter :)

37. starting over

starting over Rookie

Dec 13, 2006

Brownie batter sounds good, but my vice is M&M's. Maybe I'm working myself up too much. I'm a nervous wreck, and I've got until April to take the Praxis II. I'm so unsure about what books will benefit me, that I haven't got the nerve to start studying! Isn't that crazy? I did check out "Everything that your 5th grader needs to know..... " from my local library, but what if it isn't advanced enough to cover the information I need to know? I'm just going to have to MAKE myself sit down with the Kaplan, and start there.
    I also wanted to ask, where do you find practice tests? I've been to the ETS site and completed the tests at a glance, and I know there is one in the Kaplan book. I read about people taking all the practice tests available, but I'm not finding them.
    I've found a website with a "coach" for $75. Is that a waste of money? I don't have a lot to fork out on material that is of no benefit.
    Thanks, Starting Over

38. Caspian

Caspian Rookie

Dec 13, 2006

Do NOT hand over any money. If you got past the Praxis 1 then you will probably get past the P2 as well. There was not a wealth of practice tests for the P2 like it was with the P1. When I took the P2, I felt as if I were on a trivia show with all of the questions being asked. They are not really some far grasping, thought provoking questions, just stuff that you ought to know. Why we have seasons on earth, the reason for ocean tides, etc. If you are starting now, there is nothing at all to worry about. I started about a month ahead of time and really just read through the stuff casually. I missed plenty of questions and still passed easily, so I think that you will be fine. Usually, there is one section that you just dont do well on. With me, I stuck with studing the math portion. 2+2 will always equal 4, but there is no guarantee that they will ask you about Henry VIII's fourth cousin in the history section. In other words, math is a much smaller field than the others, so start there and then focus on what you struggle with. I know that its hard to not freak out over this, but hindsight will tell you that this was no big deal. Being proactive is the key.

39. Marge

Marge New Member

Dec 15, 2006

Praxis ll Social Studies 0081 Test Results

Hello HopetoTeach,

Thank you for your encouraging message a few weeks back. Yesterday, I found out that I did not pass the VA requirement for SS 0081 and missed the passing score by six points ( I had to have a score of 161). Maybe next time around it will work out, but I am certainly not looking forward to the retake. Congratulations to you on passing it the first time around!

40. starting over

starting over Rookie

Dec 15, 2006

Caspian,
    I graduated from college in 1985 with a degree in Business Administration. I never had to take the Praxis I, so this is all brand new to me. I've always wanted to be a teacher, but the trend being that business women excelled back in the 80's, I opted to major in business. I made plans in 2001 to get my MAT, but my then 4-year-old son was diagnosed with leukemia. EVERYTHING was put on the back burner so that I could totally focus on him. Now his is 10, and off treatment for 2 years. It's been a long time since I was in a classroom studying, so I'm very apprehensive. At 43, do I still have any brain cells left?

41. Caspian

Caspian Rookie

Dec 16, 2006

The smartest people in my group were well over thirty. I was not exactly the "norm" for my class either in terms of age. Generally, more mature people took things seriously and was more willing to spend time in preparing for tests. With a business degree, you are probably much more adept in math than I am. The reason that I say to study the math section is that it is much smaller in terms of variation. If you know how to divide, you can divide anything, if you know who the 13th president is, you only know the 13th president. From everything that you just told me, I have more confidence in your knowledge now more than ever. You will be surprised at what you can do when you have to, finding brain cells would be no exception. The HARDEST things that I have had to do in my life all centered around teaching. You haven't lived until your cooperating teacher tells you that she was recently divorced and hates all men. She says this while standing in the teacher's lounge during my first day of student teaching. She then proceeds to make up all kinds of stuff about me to get me kicked out of her class. Talk about having to jump through hoops. If my previous evaluations had not been stellar, there would have been some problems.