Need answer: Transition from school to work & parents voice

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by 2Teach_is_2Care, Oct 27, 2006.

1. 2Teach_is_2Care

2Teach_is_2Care Rookie

Oct 27, 2006

Hi- I'm taking a transition course and need some help. I have been trying to find specifically where it states the role of the parent in the ITP/IEP of a child and how much of a voice they are allowed.:confused:

(Let me say this: I'm not looking for someone to write this for me. I just need some sort of direction to go for this situation. I am new to teaching & to special education and teach elementary school (5th grade). Thanks.)

In brief: Let's say that a child has shown a lot of interest in becoming a chef, so the IEP team helped the student create a career path and work experience program to fit this interest. But the child's mother disagrees with this and thinks that the school personnel have supported her son's interest, but has not encouraged him to pursue other careers. She even refuses to sign her son's IEP (who's 18). She feels as though the school is pursuing his interests, but not her desires. The student is LD and has significant challenges with reading, but has passed the state achievement test to earn a high school diploma.
    My assignment is: as a "transition consultant" the mother wants to know what suggestions that I may have for her and ingetting the school to revise her son's IEP and what the school's legal responsibilites might be. In my response, I am to address the school's legal obligations and rights of students recieving special education services.

I know that the transition planning needs to be student centered and to focus on his/her interests, desires, and goals. But how does a parent's viewpoint play into this?

3. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Oct 27, 2006

Who has capacity to consent in this scenario? Mother or child? Child is of legal age to consent, but has mother pursued legal guardianship/has child been deemed incapable of consent? Did your professor/teacher specify?

I'm sick and going to bed. That being said, I'll check back on this thread tomorrow. I used to work for a transition service, so I know a little bit.

4. lisap

lisap Companion

Oct 29, 2006

I work with transition with my high school students. I am not an expert at the laws, but here's my thoughts. Quite often I work with LD and EBD students of age 18 or older. If they do not want the parent there, they need to indicate that. Otherwise the parent still is involved with the child's education and has say - but not power since the student is over 18 (again, not an expert, just in my workings). If the parent is an active participant, by the child's wishes, the parent is able to voice what they would like to have included. It would not be unreasonable to have further career investigation and keep the students plan intact with that addition.

If I have students who are "set" in their career path, I normally suggest that they research related careers to their interest. That way they can open their opportunities and still remain in their interest area.