Need another class book

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by dumbdiety, Aug 2, 2007.

1. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

Greets all. I've got three different sets of class books...
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - Fantasy
    Hatchet - Survival Fiction
    Whipping Boy - Historical Fiction
    I'm looking for one more (one class read aloud per 9 weeks). I would LIKE a biography, but I can't think of any besides Anne Frank and the kids do that in 6th grade at my school. Anyone have a suggestion(s)?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 2, 2007

The one about Benedict Arnold might be good because they get a kick out of learning about a 'traitor' and it ties in with the Revolutionary time period.

If the timing for that pick would be around January, a bio of MLK would be great. If February, then a bio of a notable African American.

Another suggestion, not a bio, is Number the Stars by Lois Lowry. I do a unit on WWII when we read this, since I never get to that era in social studies.

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 2, 2007

We look at different parts of Thomas Alva Edison biographies, but besides that, the only novel I have that is a biography is Lost Star, which is about Amelia Earhart. I also have three Anne Frank ones, but I've never really used them too much, except for when I talked about the 1900s in Social Studies towards the end of the year.

I have one copy of The Devil's Arithmetic. Perhaps a book like that one or Number the Stars can prepare the kids for Anne Frank the following year.

One book I have many copies of is My Side of the Mountain, which is typically read in 5th grade. The boys especially like it.

Oh, and I have heard that The Watsons Go to Birmingham- 1963 rocks! That may work, too!

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 3, 2007

You should also be able to find bios or Rosa Parks or Harriet Tubman. Another option, although it could be a short unit, is Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes. Tuck Everlasting is good as is Bridge to Terrabithia.

6. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2007

How about the Russell Freeman (Freedman?) book Lincoln: a Photobiography? It won a Newberry (Newbury?) I think I'll buy a spelling book for myself.

7. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

re: Bridge to Terabithia
    I just watched this movie last night...I don't remember the book being so **** depresing near the end! I've got it in my class library, I'm going to have to read it again! If I remember correctly, most of the book made it in the movie with very little changes. If that's the case, then I may need to use that book. Thankfully no one else was here when they saw me...uh...crying over my spilt beer.... :)

8. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

9. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

We don't use many biographies at all.

Here are some other good ones:

The Indian in the Cupboard
    Walk Two Moons
    The Pinballs
    Bridge to Terabithia