*Need animal project ideas for 4th grade*

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Miligirl7, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Miligirl7

Miligirl7 Rookie

Oct 30, 2006

I am currently doing an animal unit in science with my 4th grade class. Does anyone have any creative suggestions for a project they can do? I'll take any suggestions!!

:thanks:

3. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Oct 30, 2006

Ladybugs ----It only takes about 3 weeks for them to be full grown All you have to do is put a drop or two of water in their cage everyday ladybugs, tadpoles, and caterpillars. The kids love seeing the changes they made everyday. I've seen the ladybug land at Dollar General. You can buy the land and then send the card in to request when you want your ladybugs.

Painted lady butterflies ----It was really cool to see them change from the caterpillar to chrysalis stage, then eventually emerge as butterflies. It takes about 2 weeks from when the caterpillars are received until they change to the butterfly, so the timing was just right. www.earthsbirthday.com.

silkworms are amazing to watch! Each stage of their life cycle looks so different from the next.

tadpoles Wards Grow a Frog kit:

http://wardsci.com/Product.asp_Q_cm_...pn_E_IG0016073

Put a overripe banana in a clear glass jar that has a small opening. And when you see the first fruit fly cover the top with cheese cloth. It lets air in but the flies can't get out. One day you will see one and it is amazing how fast they multiple.

Goldfish Or Guppies Don't put goldfish and tropicial fish in the same tank. You can get a Lily and Belta fish in one unit. The fish lives by eating the roots of the lily. I saw them at Wal Mart.

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 30, 2006

What type of things are you teaching? (habitat, adaptations, etc)

5. lizziepb

lizziepb New Member

Oct 30, 2006

I do a project with my children where they research an animal's habitat and adaptations. Then they have to make a model of the animal. Sounds like any typical project though.

6. audrey1722

audrey1722 Rookie

Nov 2, 2006

You could have each student choose an endangered species to research and the present. For the presentation, there should be a visual and a handout. The handout should be some kind of activity to do with the information they are presenting. (word search, crossword puzzle, etc.) Here are a couple of examples:
    One student chose gorillas. For her visual she had a piece of yarn laid out on the floor in the shape of Africa. She put a chocolate chip in the middle and described that that was the amount of habitat left for the gorillas.
    Some students also did dioramas or posters.

7. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Nov 2, 2006

paint on rocks

take a behind the scenes tour at zoo or even pet smart

put on a pupput show or play for the kinders (animal charictors)

8. jeepNteach

jeepNteach Rookie

Nov 2, 2006

The class I'm doing my PrePrac in is doing evolution and adaptations of animals. What we did was have the children pick a type of place (swamp, desert, underground etc) and combine two animals to create an animal that best suits the environment. Allows the children to become creative and they got some really neat ideas.