Need an opinion

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teachinIA4137, Jun 21, 2014.

1. teachinIA4137

teachinIA4137 Rookie

Jun 21, 2014

Hey guys

So I had an interview Monday, and the P said she'd get in touch with me by Thursday. I sent thank you emails to her and the two others that were on the panel immediately the next morning.

Well... Thursday passed and nothing. Then yesterday (Friday) one of the people on the panel replied to my email and said:

"Thank you for your time and good luck in the future" (There was more but this is the sentence that stuck out)

Basic communication knowledge tells me that they went with someone else. The P never replied to my thank you email. I should also add that the "replier" resigned her job, and would not be there this fall when the position would start.

Do you think this is a subtle rejection? Should I follow up with the P and ask her about her decision?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2014

It does sound like they chose someone else. :sorry:

Different districts do things different ways.

They could have mailed you a former rejection letter. That always takes longer.

4. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Jun 21, 2014

I haven't reached this stage of the process yet, still mass sending out my rez, but I'd call the P and ask what happened.

5. teachinIA4137

teachinIA4137 Rookie

Jun 21, 2014

I REALLY hope they did. I am still very scarred by the fact that my ST district couldn't even tell me they rejected me in any form after I interviewed with them.

6. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 21, 2014

Personally, I never did the kind of following up that many people here talk about. I figured if they wanted to hire me, they would be in touch. I decided to think about the interview for the next few hours afterwards, figure out what I could have done better, then let it go, almost assuming I needed to continue to job hunt. I always tried to apply to at least 3 or 4 new schools the next day. I'm older, so maybe times have changed, but conventional wisdom from my day was that you didn't want to come across as too pushy. If you're the second choice, you might not hear anything until the first has decided and signed. You still have a shot at the job, if that person declines, so you still want to be as professional as possible.

7. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 21, 2014

I'm sorry but the reply coupled with the fact that the principal never got back to after saying she would does not sound like good news. Unfortunately, many admins don't take the time to let candidates know when another person has been chosen.

I hope you get something soon, though.

8. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jun 21, 2014

"Good luck in the future" means exactly what it sounds like, that they won't be seeing you in their future. I was told that by a principal once at the end of a panel interview, which stung a bit and basically let me know I wasn't in the running at all (I had a feeling the entire interview that they weren't interested and were "going through the motions", likely had another candidate in mind already but had to post the job and interview).

I send thank you notes, and I don't expect replies from the people I send them to afterwards. For the future, I don't think that the lack of response to the thank you means a thing, but the language in that email does.

9. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jun 21, 2014

Yeah, it sounds like a rejection. I can't believe they replied with that! But hey, at least they responded. I don't know what's better anymore: getting a rejection or not hearing anything at all!