Need an expert opinion

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by jgrosman, Dec 2, 2006.

1. jgrosman

jgrosman Rookie

Dec 2, 2006

In Missouri our cutoff for kindergarten is August 1. My daughter will turn 5 on June 2. She makes the cutoff. She can write her name recognize all upper and lower case. She knows most of the sounds but struggles with some vowels. She can cut and trace. She has attended pre school and her teacher feels she is ready. Academically I agree but sometimes wonder if she could still benefit socially by waiting a year. She is petite and small for her age. However. she tells me all the time she wants to go to big school and talks about wanting to be big and go to kindergarten. Do I send her or wait?

3. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Dec 3, 2006

Hummm.... that is really up to you. I personal feel like if you can wait, then wait because she will be at the top of the class verses in the middle. Socially she will be better off. Why rush her into the school system too soon? But honestly it is just a call you'll have to make. Sorry that wasn't too helpful.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2006

I'm not elementary ed, but I do have 3 kids.

It sounds as though she's ready. She attends preschool, and her teacher says she's ready, so it sounds as though her social skills are on target.

Half the population is smaller than "average"... she'll be small all her life. I wouldn't suggest letting her size hold her back from anything she's capable of doing.

5. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Dec 3, 2006

I agree with Aliceacc, she sounds ready to attend Kindergarten. I'm sure she won't be the only small and petite child in class. She could benefit from being in Kindergarten socially because she'll be surrounded by children who will be her age. I would try it and let her experience it, but it's really up to you and what you think is best for your child.

6. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Dec 3, 2006

from my exp. girls seem to do better going early where as boys seem to do better when held another year. I would go ahead, she seems to be way ahead of the kinders that come to my school so I wouldn't worry. :) but it truely is up to you! Socially I don't think it will hurt her, but again I am not a mom and so its what your heart tells you and if she says she wants to go and she eager I would let her. Just my thought. I wouldn't say I am an expert though. :)

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 3, 2006

And June isn't really too terribly late in the year. For sure, there will be younger students in class with her.

My niece's birthday is September 1st, our cutoff date. She did just fine. Her brother, who is August 18th, however, shouldn't have started when he did and my sister opted to retain him in 3rd when they made a school change. Thank goodness.

8. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 3, 2006

I agree send her. I have taught petite girls and boys in the past. No one really seems to notice their size and they usually do fine. Sounds like she is ready.
    On another note I had a very tall student in my class last year and sometimes we would forget he was only 5 b/c he was height of an 7 or 8 year old.

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 3, 2006

You know the old saying "The gift of time is the best gift you can give a child." But we can't tell you if your daughter is ready, when we don't know her or her personality. If you are having doubts hold her out. But it sounds like her preschool teacher thinks she is ready. You can always take her to kindergarten screening than change your mind latter after talking to the k teachers.

10. jgrosman

jgrosman Rookie

Dec 3, 2006

Thanks for your opinions on sending my daughter Caroline to kindergarten. My gut tells me to send her and trust her Pre-K teacher on her readiness. I must say on reflecting about this it dawned on me that she has never once cried about going to preschool. She seems to enjoy trying new things and loves all her teachers(preschool, dance and swim instructors) She also is upset because she cannot read like Mom and Dad. It also dawned on me that her teacher said on her progress report that she has a long attention span at Circle time or Activity time and even at home would sit and color for an hour if I would let her. I guess she may be ready but I do not know if I am. I am a little scared for her to take this big step. I feel like I am losing a piece of my little girl.

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 3, 2006

It sounds like you know what you need to do. Remember it will be just as hard for you the following year to send her. It sounds like she is ready. When she does go next year. You should probably send her on the bus the first couple of days. It will be easier for you.