Need advice

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by collteach, Sep 2, 2009.

1. collteach

collteach Comrade

Sep 2, 2009

This is my 7th year of teaching, but my first year teaching in a primary grade. I have always wanted to work with the little ones, but it seemed in my previous school systems....the jobs that opened up were in the older grades (I taught 7th for 2 years, then moved to 4th for 4 years).

Anyway, because I taught the older kids, my style is not really "primary-friendly" at the moment, but I am learning and VERY willing to make changes. I am not sure if I should be doing songs and "cutesy" things to help my students learn. I feel like I am BORING them to death. At the same time, I don't want to do things that are too "babyish" for them.

Any advice? Has anyone made the move from the upper-grades and have words of wisdom on how to make the transition successful?? I really LOVE my students and the grade level, I am just nervous that I am doing a terrible job because I am sort of "stuck" in the 4th grade mindset. Oh, and I am the only 1st grade teacher at my school....so I don't have anyone to observe or talk to about these things. That makes it so tough, I think!

3. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2009

1st graders love to sing and do music and movement. Look at the K class and the 2nd grade classes. Good luck! ;)

4. prek176

prek176 Companion

Sep 2, 2009

I have just made the transition from 5th to 1st- first day! I had forgotten how needy the little ones are. They do seem to like songs, games, stories etc. So, don't be afraid of those things. Fortunately I never really lost my soft approach when I moved from PreK to 4th a couple years ago. These little ones need things constantly repeated. Don't be afraid to have some fun with them. Browse this site often and it will give you some idea of what others are doing at this level. I also use Mailbox a LOT!

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2009

I think the songs are great! They love to sing and love choreographed movements to go along with the music.

6. collteach

collteach Comrade

Sep 2, 2009

I just ordered some Dr. Jean CDs....so hopefully that will get my started with making things even more interactive in my classroom!

7. kim@kto5

kim@kto5 Rookie

Sep 9, 2009

School Videos suggestion

You may want to try incorporating one or more school videos into a class, because I have found that kids love listening and learning from educational multimedia. I have found that multimedia enhances learning at any age. Especially with little ones, Showing videos in small segments helps too because you can plan activities around part of the movie.

There's a wide selection of DVD's online like the ones on the school videos website, on a wide variety of subjects for kids. I have found that this helps with retention and remembering concepts.

With 1st grade, maybe an arts and crafts activity after they watch a short clip about farm animals might be a good idea. They can pick their favorite animal to draw and color and build their own farm.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your teaching.