Need advice

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Cubsfan83, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Cubsfan83

Cubsfan83 New Member

Oct 2, 2007

Hello all. So I need some advice from people who have gone through the college process and are where I want to be.

I am 24, live in Chicago, and I just recently quit my apprenticeship to go back to school. The trades are huge here and pay extremely well. (two more years and I would have been making $45.00 an hour) Long story short, my heart wasn't in to it as I have always wanted to teach. Sooooo, I gave my notice and enrolled in a community college in the suburbs.

Things are absolutley horrible now. I took a job at a warehouse working graveyard shift, 5 nights a week, 10 hours a day. We are not allowed to take a break and the pay is hardly worth it. (11.00 an hour) To top that, I have class MWF from 8:00 am - 2:00 pm. (taking 16 credit hours) I get no sleep, and have no time for school work. In fact, I have a paper due tomorrow and about 3 hours to write it before I have to go back to work. Sunday is my only day to concentrate on school work as I have to work side jobs on Saturday to make ends meet.

I know your thinking, well, quit your job so you can concentrate on school. I made too much money for financial aid last year, which was not much, and I don't quilify for private student loans.

I am completly lost as what to do. I can't keep this up much longer, let alone another 3 1/2 years. Any advice would be great!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2007

Could you possibly go back to your old job or one like it and take night classes? or even get your degree through an online college like Univ of Phoenix?

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2007

It sounds to me as though you need a T,TH, S,Sunday job. (I'm not sure you'll find one paying $45 per hour though)

Is there any way to do your old job part time? Work from home so you can do a lot of work on the days when school isn't in session?

Have you tried waitressing? The work is physical but the money is normally good.

5. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Oct 2, 2007

I am not quite in your shoes yet, as I am not working at the moment, but at some point will have to.. but one of the things I am considering that might work for you would be a job at the college you are attending. You might be surprised at what you could find, even working as a secretary in the Admin department. It is worth checking into. Do NOT give up your dream though. I am an example of someone who gave hers up, and here I am at 41, enrolled fulltime toward the teaching degree I always had my heart set on.

6. glenn

glenn Rookie

Oct 2, 2007

It seems like working 50 hours a week plus a Saturday job is a lot. Combine that with taking 16 credit hours and it is not surprising you are so tired and dislike it so much. I would look around for a better job (both pay and hour wise). I know someone who answered phones for a car dealership while they went to school. They could work on their homework for school in between answering the phones.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2007

Yeah, I did it through high school and college.

I took a pay cut to start teaching!

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2007

I also waitressed for 3 years while I was in school. It was a great source of income, and I always had money in my pocket! I should have thought of it before!

9. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

Oct 4, 2007

OMG, how sad is that?

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2007

WEll, it WAS a great restaurant-- I was making wonderful money.

And I went to teach in a small Catholic all-girls school.

It was 1980, and my salary was $9,700 per year:eek:

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2007

Well hey cubsfan...as a fellow Chicagoan and job hunter/grad student, I can certainly feel your pain.

First of all...nobody works 50 hours. At 24, you will start to look twice your age, which just happens to be mine. Although I look pretty good :woot: I feel otherwise after doing an overnight shift at Walgreens. You only got one body, so you must take care of it. you need some down time to rest and be prepared for school.

but yeah, we gotta eat. so, can you cut back on classes? I did. I could not afford 3 courses if I was not working. I have been working and going to school since I was 19. at some point, you have to give yourself a break. Some classes are short term...others meet on sat. and online classes are a big break all around! maybe you can look into these for next semester.

find some creative ways to get around this rat race. can you take the bus to school (saves gas and you can read along the way)? Can you cut down one of those days at work? the holidays are coming, and we don't want to see you working 75 hours!

Is there some interest you have that you can teach or tutor? Maybe music lessons in your home? Or babysitting, which is much more rewarding...in your field, and safer than standing on your feet 10 hrs.

I talked my daughter into on campus work. you get much more sympathy, and a cushy job, in most cases. sit at library, and read! check out a few for students books, and read! Check your career placement office at school. They have counselors who can help you. hey that's what those student fees are for. also, they have job leads too. they may help you find a better job with fewer hours.

and work on your paper, then come back to talk to us. keep some balance in your life!

oh, and please build a safey net. do you have health insurance? if not, find some short term, low cost plan. keep in mind,you can always sit out one semester or two...and not lose your status at school.

good luck! and keep us posted.

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2007

gee, I made that much as teacher aide! :eek:hmy:

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2007

and by the way, have you looked into scholarships? I know they are a pain, and you hate to brag about yourself :p, but there are lots of them out there, if you just get some reference letters, two teachers and maybe parents of high school friends, and start typing some essays!

you gotta type papers anyway :)

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2007

15. Cubsfan83

Cubsfan83 New Member

Oct 5, 2007

Thanks for all the helpful advise. Been so busy I didn't even have time to check the forums. I actually just signed up for night classes next semester, so I know I won't be working at that place anymore after the new year.

I guess the thing that frustrated me the most about the whole going back to school process is the fact that I couldn't get financial aid. I wasn't asking for grants, just loans, and they said I made too much money. I don't see how someone that goes out and works their butt off to make an honost dollar is overlooked and grants are given to people who are too lazy to find a job and are rewarded with a free education. My cousin is a prime example. She went to DeVry and didn't quilify for loans the first year. So she said screw it, quit her job, and made about 2000 the next year while living at home, and was rewarded with grants and a loan.

I'm going to try my best to convince my parents to co-sign for a private loan with me, if not ill figure something out.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice all!

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2007

parents are giving you tough love. they want to see you do it yourself. besides, another loan ties up their credit! :rolleyes:

I know it is hard, but at least you have a job!

look outside of school, there are lots of churches, agencies, organizations that you may be part of that give out scholarships.

well worth your time.

sorry cubsfan...I mean a school loan would tie up their credit.

Why not ask for a loan from church? They should be glad to see you working hard for your future.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2007

have you tried www.finaid.com ?? It's run by the people who do monster.com and it's all about financial aid. Maybe you'll find something there???