Need Advice!

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by JillianCleary, Sep 20, 2007.

1. JillianCleary

JillianCleary Rookie

Sep 20, 2007

I recieved this from a parent and I wanted to know if anyone has any ideas.

I have a very difficult time working with her on her homework whenever she makes a mistake; she becomes embarrassed and clams up. I'm not sure if it is a confidence issue or something else. It becomes quite frustrating at times for the both of us. She will become irritated at her mom and me, she won't be vitriolic, but it does get a tad defensive. Her mom and I usually just calm her down and in the end she does a superb job. I really believe she just gets shy. Any suggestions you may have for Michelle and me would be greatly appreciated.

3. twincheryl

twincheryl Rookie

Sep 20, 2007

We find that some times in our high socioeconomic district. Parents have such high expectations for their young kids to be perfect that the kids are afraid to make a mistake. Hopefully the child is not shy with her own parents....? Do you require the parents to work with their kids on homework? I tell parents that if they get into a power struggle with their child, just let the child do it on his/her own and we will deal with it at school. Any teacher who is also a parent knows how an entire evening can be destroyed by a homework hassle. We, as teachers can ease that problem by making the kids responsible - not the parents. I tell my students that if they don't understand a math problem to do all the ones they can and I'll reteach the others the following day. Of course, it is really nice when parents help... but it's not worth a fight at home.

4. awp0718

awp0718 Rookie

Sep 28, 2007

That is heartbreaking! I really like over-praising my kids..we have a flower that plays "walking on sunshine" and we dance to it when someone gets a really tough question right. But on the other side, I am really enthusiastic and have my kids thank anyone who ventures a guess, even if it's wrong. I really hope this little girl isn't being pressured into being perfect by her parents!