Need Advice!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by sweet81, Aug 3, 2007.

1. sweet81

sweet81 Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

Need Advice!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Okay...this is soo hard for me to talk about but I have to give it a shot because I have no where else to turn to for help. I am from new york and I graduated in 2005 with my masters degree in elementary education. That summer I moved to Florida. Here's my issue..there are 3 new york tests you have to take to get your teaching certificate. The LAST, ATS-W and CST. I took the LAST and ATS-W and I'm still working on Passing the CST. This will be my 4th time taking the test. I have been flying back up to new york to take this darn test and I keep failing by 5 points! Do you see where my frustration is? The reason I keep doing this is because I want my certification from new york. Florida accepts it. I don't want to start all over in florida and take their 3 exams. I am soo frustrated because I am soo anxious to teach. My fiance tells me I shouldn't give up and I should keep taking that test until I pass it. The other problem is that I have no real teaching experience accept for the student teaching. So from 2005 when I graduated, I have not been doing anything related to teaching...I can't substite because how else am I going to support myself financially if I have to rely on getting a call whenever they need sub. So I have a full time job monday through friday doing something else. It sucks! I've gone on some interviews and no one will hire me beacause they said I need to have my certificate. So..I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Help Me! :help: :(

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2007

Many times there are guides you can buy to help you study for the test, no not the ones the state provides, but other companies. They have one at Amazon for social studies, maybe they have one for the area you need. http://www.amazon.com/NYSTCE-Social-Studies-Teacher-Certification/dp/1581978537

This is how I passed all my tests the first time, I not only studied, but I wrote notes on every single question and topic, yep it took me forever, but I passed all with high scores. Trust me, the study guides helped. The notes helped, I took out every single textbook I had used for that content test, and I just took notes, I filled an entire notebook.

Here is another site with guides....http://www.kaptest.com/repository/t...tice-for-the-NYSTCE/EDN_nystce_cstguides.html

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2007

No...you are not stuck.
    You just need a different approach to the way you are studying for this exam. Why aren't you passing it? You say you keep missing it by 5 points. Why? Are you missing the same type of thing over and over?
    We all had to take out tests and pass them. If you want to teach, it's not an option. You must pass those tests. Take a class in the area you are not doing well in. Get some tutoring. Do what you need to do. If you chose to stop taking the tests at some point, that will be the decision you make but until then...try a different approach. Simply taking the test over and over again is not working for you. Think!! What are you NOT doing? What areas do you need to improve on?
    You are not stuck. There's always a way.

5. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 4, 2007

I know you said you don't want to take the FL tests but they are pretty easy. I passed them on my first try and since FL and NY have reciprocity you would have your clearance for hire. You can take Professional Ed and SAE k-6 on a computer and get your scores that day.

6. mrsjam525

mrsjam525 Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

When I first took the CST- multi-subject I Failed by one point , I cried, I even spent $30 to have them rescore it still failed by one point. I took it again and I told myself that this is just like the LAST . Check the reviews that they have on the test website. Review the CST and LAST . Use the same wording as the review . I passed the CST with 260 score. Sorry that you are coming back and forth but you will do fine.:D

7. Jill420791

Jill420791 Companion

Aug 7, 2007

I have to take the Praxis 2 when I lived in NJ 4 times. I kept missing it by first 4 points then the last three times 2 points so I know how you feel. I doubted myself over and over but my Fiance kept my spirits up as well as my family. Dont give up!! Keep trying