Need Advice

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by bluedolphin9, Jun 23, 2016.

1. bluedolphin9

bluedolphin9 Rookie

Jun 23, 2016

Hi everyone,
    I am a preschool to grade 3 teacher who needs some advice about job applications. Last September I was hired for a family consumer science teacher at a high school. All I would need to do is take another praxis. This job required teaching an early childhood curriculum to high school students and running the preschool program. Eventually the high school students would take over the teaching of the preschoolers. I took this job out of desperation and wasn't certified. Everything went well until I taught a safety lesson on childhood sexual abuse. This lesson caused me to have flashbacks of childhood abuse that I endured leading to a hospitalization at a psychiatric hospital. Upon being discharged, I had to complete 6-8 weeks of a therapy program that would take place during school hours. The treatment team also said I needed a medical leave from my job as I was not in a condition to work.
    Well the school was ok with the time off needed for hospitalization but they weren't with needing 6-8 weeks off. Things dragged out and it felt like a fight between myself and the district. Eventually I was terminated. Here's the thing, I did nothing wrong, my mentor said I was doing great. I lost my job because I became ill. I was unable to work the rest of the school year because I became depressed about losing my job. When I was finally better I couldn't find anything.
    Now I am applying for elementary jobs for September and I am not sure if I should put the high school job on my resume. If I do, how do I explain my situation without going into too much personal detail? I think I have to put it on my applications because when I google my name, the meeting minutes when I was hired comes up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I just want to put this year behind me and get an elementary job for September. Thanks.

3. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jun 24, 2016

Could you just put it on there and state that you left for medical reasons? I wouldn't say anything more than that - "medical reasons" and if asked about it later, I would say something like "personal medical reasons that are now resolved."

Backroads likes this.
  4. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jun 24, 2016

Sorry about your health issues. I would list the job because you did work it. But like phillyteacher said I would say you left for medical reasons. You don't want them to find out then think you are not truthful. Hang in there!