need advice

Discussion in 'General Education' started by nyteach89, Oct 18, 2014.

1. nyteach89

nyteach89 Companion

Oct 18, 2014

I am a first year teacher and feel like I am not reaching my students. I teach 1st grade in NYC and have a very challenging class of 25 students (4 of which are repeating) who are all so low academically (5 non readers, 18 A readers, and 2 D). I am in an ICT class and have 8 students with IEPS (but it is evident that a few students should be referred). The special ed teacher is SUPPOSED to be with me for 3 periods each day, but she is always pulled out for meetings and what not. I am stressed out of my mind because I feel as if my students aren't learning. (When I do a whole class lesson, some students don't even pay attention. When I have them go off to do their own work, I can't even trust my students to complete what I asked and almost all of them do it incorrectly. I try going to every table to explain it in a smaller setting, but it goes in one ear out the other).

I want to make an impact on my students education and get them to where they need to be, but I am starting to feel as if that will never happen :(. I had my first breakdown/I don't want to be a teacher moment yesterday. Has anyone had this problem before? Any advice on what I can do to help my students?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 18, 2014

Forum guidelines discourage multiple posts of the same thread. Perhaps mods could condense all into one? It makes it easier to follow the conversation.:love:

I have no advice, just hugs.:hugs:

4. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Oct 18, 2014

I do not teach elementary but have you looked into whole brain learning? they have some great strategies to keep students engaged while following directions.

5. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Oct 18, 2014

OP, I feel your pain! I have three students with IEP's in my room. One student who shows extreme behavior problems. Four students who receive ELL services. And I have had 50% turn over in the nine weeks we have been in school. I don't have any aides. At all. I have yet to make it all the way through a lesson without needing to stop and make sure one little guy puts his clothes back on, or that he stops trying to stick a paper clip into the electrical socket, or that he stop pushing classmates out of the way so he can reach into their desks and take their markers, or their crayons. And he is non-verbal, with a communication impairment.

I have no words of wisdom for you. I am stuck in the same dark hallway, without a flashlight. But please know that there are others out there struggling with the same issues. My hope is that next year won't be as challenging. Hang on to that hope yourself!
    Sheilah