Need advice!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by CDOR79, Aug 28, 2014.

1. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Aug 28, 2014

So I told my current principal (at a Catholic school...who is a NUN by the way) that I was returning for the upcoming school year since I didn't hear from any other public schools. I get a call TODAY at 3pm from a public school for an interview TOMORROW! Not only does school start next Wednesday, but I just finished my classroom today.

Granted this interview might be for nothing I'd be interested in- but I'm thinking if they're calling me at this point, it's something I may want.

Of all mornings, I have a meeting for something I'm helping my principal with tomorrow morning. Our meeting is at 9:30, they called for the interview at 11am!!!!

Do I cancel with my principal and tell her the truth as to why or stick with it and tell the public school I can't come at that time, but can later in the day? I'm hesitant to bring it up to her, even though she's been very understanding, bc like I said- it could be nothing.

This has been nothing but stress on me and this whole thing is driving me crazy,

3. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Aug 28, 2014

I'm in the same boat. I accepted a LTS job today that starts next week, but I am deathly afraid that my luck, a bunch of districts will start calling me for jobs now.

My first choice would be to tell the school you can't come until later. I wouldn't say anything to the principal just yet. You could go to that interview and not get a call back, and then you've opened a can of worms with your principal for no reason. So I would try and schedule the interview later in the day. Maybe you can even try to make it there by like 11:30 or 12.

Once I went to the interview I would think about it more and then if you thought you had a good chance at a second interview talk to your current P.

Good luck! I overanalyze everything so I totally get how you're feeling!

4. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Aug 28, 2014

Well, the thing is my P knows I'm looking to move but thinks I didn't get any calls and so I AM returning. I just don't know that I want to back out on her last minute. She's been SO supportive and great to me and I just want to do right by HER. I know I need to look out for myself, but I can't screw her over either.

5. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Aug 28, 2014

I wouldn't screw her over. I'd ask them if they can do an interview at a different time. Just think it could be for a position you don't want and then you would've aggravated your current and year long principal for nothing.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 28, 2014

I would go to the interview. You have to do what is best for your own career. If it happens to be the perfect job, take it. If it isn't, don't even mention it to the P. The worst thing that could happen to them is that they get a sub for the first week or so and sift through their file of resumes to hire someone.

7. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Aug 28, 2014

But that means I have to back out of this meeting with her tomorrow morning and lie about why I can't come. This all won't feel right to me then.

8. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Aug 28, 2014

Why can't you ask the school to schedule a different time for the interview? If they say no, then miss the meeting and be honest with your P.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2014

I've had to lie about interviews. (For a while I was on my deathbed with a plethora of dental problems :lol:) Sometimes you have to do what is best for you.

I would go to the interview. I don't think calling for a different time will work since the interview is tomorrow. You missed your opportunity to ask for a different time. Could you reschedule with your P for the afternoon?

10. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 29, 2014

Personally- if I had talked to my boss already and told her I haven't had any calls, and I've been working on new school year stuff with her, AND I've set up my classroom already- I would stay at the Catholic school.

Yes, you might get your dream job, but it sounds like you've made a commitment to your current location and I'm assuming school is starting soon. While you might get a good job, you're putting your current school in a difficult spot- it may end up affecting students' learning which isn't cool. (IMO)

I would reschedule the meeting- you should be committed to your current position since I'm assuming you're under contract there- and then should you get the position, I would ask that you can stay at your current school until they find a replacement (within reason- let's say 2-3 weeks).

I wonder if it might raise some red flags with the new school if you're willing to quit your current position in a way that leaves them in a lurch.

I totally get advancing yourself, but at the same time, it's not professional to just jump ship to get a better position. We had 2 people suddenly quit over the summer at my school, which put a lot of stress on my P and our 2 new teachers are wonderful, but will need a lot of support from us since they teach same subject for one level.

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2014

I agree with Bio. At some time in the job hunting process, it is too late to keep interviewing.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2014

I agree with Bio as well. You have already told your P that you're coming back and school starts Wed. I had the opportunity to interview with my #1 school district 2 days before I was due to report back to work. I had to turn them down because I had already told my director that I was coming back and it would have left them scrambling.

13. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Aug 30, 2014

Well, thankfully they ended up moving the time for me to later in the afternoon. I was SO relieved! I didn't end up saying anything to my P.

After all that anyway, the interview wasn't for anything in the beginning of the year anyway. To be honest, I think they did it just as a formality bc they told someone I know in the district that I WOULD be getting an interview at least. It was a learning experience anyway!

Thanks for the advice! :)