need advice

Discussion in 'Montessori Archives' started by shastings, Mar 7, 2006.

1. shastings

shastings New Member

Mar 7, 2006

Hello,

I have a 1st grader and a 3rd grader in a Montessori program. They go 3 days a week and are homeschooled the other 2 days. This is our first year. My 3 rd grader has been said by his teacher as gifted. The program was supposed to be all inclusive but there is no knowledge of history,economics or science by my third grader, but for english and math he tests out at 5th grade level. Is it possible to keep in a montessori program as kids get older I do not see how they can learn without text books. I feel like the year might have been wasted or am I misunderstanding the curriculum on a long term basis. Any Advice??

Sandra

3. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Mar 15, 2006

I don't know of any Montessori school that allows a child to attend an elementary program for only 3 days a week. Is this school AMS or AMI certified? There is numerous resources that a Montessori teachers uses in the classroom. Have you observed the classroom in action? Ask the teacher what resources that she uses to teach these subjects. Good Luck

4. shastings

shastings New Member

Mar 16, 2006

thank for the response I have not sat in the class because I have other children but have seen the manipulatives and they look like there is stuff for each subject so that is a little reassuring