Need advice.....

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by kidsr#1, Nov 5, 2011.

1. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Nov 5, 2011

Let me give you a little background info...

This is my 15th year of teaching. I love my job and my school. But, it is the only school that I have worked at. I already have my administration degree and someday hope to be a principal, probably not in the same school though. My school is a rural school, K-12 in the same building.

My dilemma is this.... I am wondering if it would be beneficial to teach in a different type of school. The community that I live in has 6 elementary schools. I don't mind the drive to my current school. I have experience teaching K-5, including 2 years in Mixed Age (grades 3-5).

I love my job, my co-workers, but somehow feel like I want to change and experience another school. Not sure what to do....I know it is early in the year to decide, but I want to think this through carefully.

Need advice please....what are the pros/cons for those of you that have been in a situation like mine?

Thanks for reading.
    :unsure:

3. GAteacher87

GAteacher87 Companion

Nov 5, 2011

I think that any opportunity for growth is amazing and necessary, especially when you feel a little stifled or static (and it sounds like you do, or you wouldn't be asking this question)! Go for it! It will help you personally and professionally, most likely.

4. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2011

When I began teaching I started at a neighborhood school in Florida. I loved it, but knew I would be moving home to Massachusetts and wanted to be more marketable. I made the move to a magnet school for math, science, and technology. After that I taught for 2 years at a large urban school.

Although I had moved around quite a bit, I do think it helped me professionally. Not only was I offered many positions based on my varied experience when I moved, but I feel that having those experiences has made me a better teacher.

If your ultimate goal is administration then I would think it would make sense to broaden your perspectives and experience.

Best of luck. Change is hard.

5. bondo

bondo Cohort

Nov 9, 2011

Go for it! Change is good. You'll never know until you try, and you don't want to regreat inaction.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 10, 2011

I agree, if your ultimate goal is to move into administration, then it would be in your best interest to see how other schools work. Then you can have more to pull from when things aren't working when you are running the school.