Need advice

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by swansong1, Jan 7, 2010.

1. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2010

I have a student teacher this year and I am formulating my goals for him. In addition to the duties he has in the classroom, I would like to focus discussions on a new skill each week so that when he finishes his student teaching he has enough confidence to begin his new career. My list already includes:
    planning
    scheduling
    state standards
    behavior management
    transitions
    IEP's
    state testing

What other topics do you think I should cover? Thanks for your input.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2010

time management. this has always been a struggle for me. What to do when you don't have enough content to cover the time.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2010

Oh, that would be a good one! I have already noticed that he tends to like to tell stories and kind of get off track a little.

5. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jan 7, 2010

Wow! I hope my cooperating teacher is as into this as you! I sure hope I get such an amazing and well rounded experience and get to see and do everything just like you are planning! Sorry, I do not have any advice, but I just wanted to applaud you for doing this! It sounds fabulous! I hope I experience something similar!

6. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Jan 7, 2010

I'm going to begin student teaching sometime this year and I hope I get a CT who puts forth the same amount of thought and effort in preparing me to teach.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2010

I appreciate the compliments. Thank you.

8. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jan 8, 2010

I think as far as other topics go, yo can wait and see what areas he may need extra help in.

Also, how about cumulative folders? They don't usually talk about those much in teacher prep programs, I don't think.

And show him how you set up your grade book and the process for completing grade cards/progress reports.

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 8, 2010

Good list ...

organization
    assessment
    how to balance work and life (I don't do this well)

10. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jan 8, 2010

How about how to keep a gradebook - whether to do percents or points, what to do when students miss assignments...

Also, I don't know what your report cards look like, but you might want to go over filling those out if they're at all complicated or if he will have to write comments.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 8, 2010

Communication with parents

12. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Jan 8, 2010

What about something, and I don't know how to word this, like the things that teachers do everyday to set up a classroom. For example, attendance, field trips, newsletters, etc. Just a thought. :)

13. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2010

I'm adding all these ideas to my plans. My student teacher is very motivated and receptive to anything we discuss. I'm excited to be able to pass on all these ideas to him. Thanks to everyone.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 9, 2010

I wish I had more CTs like you back when I was student teaching who took more time to discuss important topics. I had a total of 4 CTs because I earned 2 credentials.

Also, towards the end of the term, you should ask your ST to gather miscellaneous questions that he'd like to talk to you about. Also at the end, discuss unique circumstances that a teacher may experience once or twice in a career. It's good to talk a little about things like that too. :)

15. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jan 9, 2010

I have been thinking about this and some things I am curious about- perhaps you could talk to him about mandated reporting (I know that was just a topic here on the forum)- what he should, how he should do it, what the protocol is. What about paper work, what should he be writing down and keeping notes about and how exactly should he be writing it.
    Also regarding restraint- what training is available in your area? Is it for SpEd teachers only or can anyone take the class? When to use it versus when to call for help.

16. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 9, 2010

Well, I was going to say communication with parents, but MrsC already did :). I think you've got a really good list going on. The only other thing I can think of would be crisis management. Hopefully, there won't be a reason for hands on learning in this subject, but it should be at least talked about.

17. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2010

In my teaching situation, crisis management is very important. I usually have several instances each year that I need to employ techniques to deescalate situations. I am going to check and see if he can receive the training as a ST. These responses have really helped define topics that will be important for him. Kudos to everyone on this site!!

18. beatlebug731

beatlebug731 Comrade

Jan 19, 2010

Wow, beckysuek!
    I wish you would've been my coop!
    I would also discuss his/her rapport with students.
    I see that you are a special ed teacher, so I would give them advice on how to use the scripted programs.

19. hoku625

hoku625 Rookie

Jan 23, 2010

Thanks for the idea. I've been trying to think how to make my ST's experience valuable. These are great ideas, I will work on introducing her to all of these topics!

20. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2010

Update: my student teacher is almost a month into his service and we have talked about many of the topics discussed in this thread. He is doing well and will make an excellent teacher. Right now, he is a little bit overwhelmed because my class is so difficult to teach. I have so many students on so many different levels that he is having a hard time organizing things. I've told him to go slowly and just focus on preparing much more material than he will have time to teach. That way, when our schedule is disrupted by behavior issues, meetings, or whatever, he can pull something out of his hat.