Need Advice Regarding Offer

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by bamagirl10, Jun 29, 2006.

1. bamagirl10

bamagirl10 Rookie

Jun 29, 2006

:confused: :confused: Has anyone been in the situation where they were offered and accepted the offer and signed a contract but another offer came along afterwards that was really great. What did you do...what are the options. The contract did not have anything in it about breaking the contract other than both parties must agree to do so. By the way, the accepted offer is at a private school.:eek:

Need some advice

Considered about professional reprutation, doing the right thing, everything

3. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Jun 29, 2006

I'm curious about this, too. Sorry I've no advice, but I'm eager to see the answer.

4. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jun 29, 2006

All I know is I would make a decision soon. There's a saying, "A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush." You have a job now, do you know if this better offer is going to wait for you? And how long are they willing to wait? That's important. You don't want to renig on the private school only to find out you are stuck with NO job at all. :eek: Personally, my feeling is that once you sign a contract, that's it. However, I suppose there are always acceptions. Communication is the key in any kind of situation. Do you have any friends or relatives at this private school? If so, I would really think twice about skipping out on the job. That may put them in an akward position. (of course that depends if that is your situation) If it's possible to just sit down with your principal and be frank with her, I would try that. However, know that you may be risking something there, like reputation. Perhaps try talking to the school that gave you the better offer and tell them the situation you are in. Tell them you want to be respectful of the situation, and ask what you think would be best? (shrug). I'm not sure any of these ideas are the greatest, but I thought I'd just add my two and 1/2 cents. ;-) Best of luck.

Nasimi77

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2006

Without knowing more details, I'll go with my gut:

As a professional, you signed a contract. Aside from things beyond your control (medical conditions, spousal transfer, etc) I think you should honor that contract.

You can probably find ways around the contract you signed. But you gave your word-- doesn't that mean something? And I bet you were happy to sign on for that job when you agreed to it.

Sorry, definitely not what you wanted to hear.

6. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jun 29, 2006

I'm with Aliceacc on this one.

N77

7. Texas Gal

Texas Gal Companion

Jun 29, 2006

I, too, agree that you should honor your original signing. In my opinion, this is the best for everyone involved. It's easy to get wrapped up in that idea that people "want" you - and it definitely makes you feel good to get offers. However, people in education tend to talk, and your reputation is at stake. Good luck with your decision.

8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2006

Be true to your word. There will always be a BETTER offer, how about making the best out of what you have already. A private school is not the end of the world. In fact, it might just be the best thing you've ever done. Don't break the contract.

9. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jun 30, 2006

Take the job at the private school. You will gain experience and you will be in a better position to pursue the same offer next year. Do not worry about the other offer. A private school has a nice environment and it is a good way to gain experience. Enjoy your new job and be thankful you have it. I would love to work in a private school and I am still looking. Terry G.

10. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Jun 30, 2006

I think you should keep the job unless there is a really good reason not to. Then talk to the school as see what they reccomend

11. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jun 30, 2006

I'll play devil's advocate here. I know of many private schools that do not offer nearly the same pay, the retirement benefits, or health benefits of public schools. If the "better offer" is something that you believe is going to be long term and is better for you financially then you need to consider it. However, if you can afford to live on the private school pay etc then honoring the contract might be the best thing to do -- it's good for your professional reputation to follow through.

12. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2006

This is the very reason why when you accept an offer you should think long and hard. I'm sorry to say that once you say yes, there should be no reason to pass it up. If all teachers did that who could be counted on. I think it's important to honor your contract at least until the year is up.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2006

Nope, I stick by my original point.None of those factors have changed since the original poster signed the contract. I still say your word has to have some value. Once you agree, you follow through.

But I have no problem with letting the new district know the problem, and asking them to keep you in mind for next year.

14. jd019

jd019 Companion

Jul 1, 2006

This happened to me. I signed a contract with a school in Maryland in May. Then 3 weeks ago, I was offered a job 15 minutes from home. I was lucky because on the contract I signed it said I had until July 15 to revoke my contract. I sent the school a letter saying that I wouldn't be coming for personal reasons but thanks for the opportunity. I understand wanting to be professional but do what will make YOU most happy. Good luck with your choice.

15. SmartCookie

SmartCookie Comrade

Jul 2, 2006

I do not think it is detrimental to walk away from the private school position. My best friend decided to not continue with a private school she had agreed to teach at when a position on my staff was offered to her. California is an employment at will state so the private school really could not say anything. We are having the most fantastic time teaching together.

16. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jul 2, 2006

True that California is an at will State, but keeping one's word still should mean something. It may be in Bamagirl10's best interest to stick with the contract for a year, gain the experience at a private school and see how she likes it. If it turns out not to be a good situation, you can start looking for other jobs, or even take up the "better" offer later, in the following school year. I think sometimes we already know "in our gutt" what the right thing to do is. Ultimatley, Bamagirl...this is your decision. I think you've gotten some pretty good advice here on both sides of the spectrum.