Need advice regarding Masters in Education (Illinois)

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Explorer, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Explorer

Explorer New Member

Aug 20, 2006

Hello all,

Newbie poster here!:)

I have worked in the business world (finance/accounting) for several years, and am now considering pursuing a career as a teacher.

Ideally, I would love to teach high school business courses. However, I am also extremely interested in teaching upper level elementary school (4th or 5th) and middle school (6-8) math classes. On top of this, I would like to coach sports at either the junior high or high school level.

I have looked into Masters degree programs in Illinois, and am confused about what route I should take? Based on my interests, does it make sense for me to obtain a Masters in Elementary Education (K-9) and then obtain an endorsement that would enable me to teach high school business? Or should I go for a Masters in Secondary Education (6-12)?

3. irishteach

irishteach Rookie

Aug 20, 2006

Since I teach secondary I would say to do secondary-espcially since you want to coach. There is more coaching opportunities 6th grade and up! And you could then do business & math at one school maybe?

4. akbeck98

akbeck98 Companion

Aug 20, 2006

However you can teach any grade and be a coach for any level. Meaning you can teach 5th and coach high school basketball!

YOu can go the the way of Secondary and then get a middle school endorsement. That would get you 6-12.

5. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 20, 2006

In Chicago we have mostly pre-k - 8 grades in elementary school and well we have sports. So you can teach 4/5 and coach 5/6 or 7/8 sports...I do think some of this coaching may be volunteering though. Not sure...

6. Explorer

Explorer New Member

Aug 21, 2006

All,

Thank you for your responses!

I really appreciate your feedback, and look forward to posting on this website as I move forward with my new career.

7. Explorer

Explorer New Member

Aug 21, 2006

One other thing...

Currently, I am researching the Masters in Education programs in the Chicago area. I am looking at DePaul, National - Louis, and a few others.

Does anyone have any opinions/thoughts about these programs or any others?

8. akbeck98

akbeck98 Companion

Aug 21, 2006

I'm getting my masters through national louis currently. I do a cohort and we only meet once per week for 4 hours and the program lasts 19 months. I'm currently in the middle of it. I'm satisfied. I'm not sure on your options with the route you are going, but for me already having my certificate this is not for certification. I know that NLU isn't cheap, but if you do a cohort they offer discounts for groups over 20 and if the location you meet is free. That takes 20 % off the top. They also give 5% if you pay everything in on lump sum up front.

I like the ease of one night per week and its close to my house.

If you have specific questions let me know.