Need advice QUICKLY please!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by HOPE-fulTeacher, May 19, 2011.

1. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

May 19, 2011

Here's the dilemma:

I live in Michigan, and I was offered an interview in Missouri. To either fly or drive would both be around $600 when all the expenses are added up. My parents want me to ask if I can do a phone or Skype interview, but I am worried that they will think I am not interested. I will say that although I am definitely willing to move if I get the position, it's not a situation where I am really looking and hoping to move out to this area. I also don't have the $600 to go out there for the interview (plus I'd be missing a day or two of pay at work). Is it at all appropriate to ask for a phone or Skype interview??

The other thing is...the application process on their website isn't very clear, and I don't know if this is like a screening interview or an "actual" interview. It was the school that called me (and I am interviewing for a specific position), but I am wondering if it is ok to ask them to clarify. I feel like I can't pass up this opportunity for an interview, but I hate the thought of spending all that time and money to go for a screening interview.

I have to call the school back tomorrow morning, so I need to decide all this pretty quickly...PLEASE weigh in if you have any thoughts on either of these questions! Thank you!!

3. DaveG

DaveG Companion

May 19, 2011

I would absolutely call and ask. Explain that you are extremely interested in the situation and ask if it would at all be possible to set up a phone/Skype interview. The worst they can do is say that's not possible and then you have to decide if it's worth finding a way to go out there.

4. Rox

Rox Cohort

May 19, 2011

You may want to call HR and find out if they even have the capability to do a Skype interview. Some people just don't know how to use the technology or set it up. If it were up to me, I would certainly be understanding of your situation, and may want to save the face-to-face interview until you were further along in the hiring process, but I don't work in HR, so what do I know.

5. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

May 19, 2011

I wouldn't ask for a phone or skype interview. I'm not sure if its appropriate or not. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

IMHO- When you apply for a job, you should be fully committed and willingly to drive
    or fly there for all aspects of the job interview.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 19, 2011

I would ask for a phone interview or skype interview for a first interview or screening interview. Save the flight for a second interview or demo lesson.

7. DaveG

DaveG Companion

May 19, 2011

I agree.

If you did just drive/fly out there and didn't say anything, they might just figure that making the commute out there for the interview is not a major issue for you. Then, you might get stuck having to drive/fly out again for a second (or even third etc) interview.

8. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 19, 2011

When I was interviewing a few years ago and I got called from out of state for interviews most are very willing to do phone or skype if they have that available. In fact the only school that wasn't willing to do a phone interview with me is the one that hired me. (I actually had my interview in a Denny's, but thats another story) It doesn't hurt to ask. If it was a school that called you then the principal has looked at your resume and probably knows that you don't live close.

9. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

May 19, 2011

After driving 3.5 hours to an interview, I'd definitely ask for a phone interview first.

10. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

May 19, 2011

I would ask for a skype interview. In fact, I did ask for one as I am in Utah and my new job is in Mississippi. I got the job and then had to fly out to complete paperwork and fingerprinting. I didn't get anything but positive feedback about Skype...just plenty of questions about if the job were offered would I be able to fly out to do the paperwork...otherwise I would have had to fly out twice!!!

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 19, 2011

When I was searching out of state for some interviews I asked if a phone interview was possible but let them know that if it wasn't I was more than willing to come for an interview. I did drive to a lot of out of the way places for interviews, but ironically enough both full-time positions that I was ever offered were from phone interviews. Good luck!

12. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 19, 2011

Yikes, $600?? Even with a hotel stay, your car must not have very good gas mileage...

If it were me, I would absolutely find out if it's a screening interview first. Those can be maybe 10 minutes long - TOTALLY not worth the trip, IMO. If it were a "real" interview, I'd go in person, but that's just me. I drive up and down the state of CA all the time (family lives 450 miles away, which I realize is a shorter trip than Michigan to Missouri) so long drives are part of my life. But I agree with Kangaroo - ask, and if they say no, go! :) Good luck!

13. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

May 20, 2011

yellow, the $600 includes all expenses (hotel stays, meals, etc.), not just the gas :)

Thank you for all of the advice everyone! I called this morning and explained the costs involved (especially if I were to be making multiple trips) and they said they didn't realize I was from Michigan when they first called me and actually initiated offering the phone interview! So...I am all set to do a phone interview next week!! :D

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 20, 2011

That's great! Good luck!

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 20, 2011

Yay... Congrats... We all learn it never hurts to ask!!!
    I was going to say ask for the phone or skype... I had a friend (not a teacher) that did plenty of phone interviews for out of state places... it wasn't that big of a deal. With Skype it's nice because you get the facial reaction of the as well!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

16. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

May 20, 2011

Good luck!

17. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 20, 2011

Good luck! :)

18. FutureTeacher_1

FutureTeacher_1 Rookie

May 20, 2011

Good luck! Keep us updated!

19. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

May 20, 2011

Good luck!!

20. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

May 26, 2011

Soo...I was supposed to do my phone interview today, but I got a call from the P about 20 minutes before my scheduled time and was told that another teacher in the district had contacted the school and wanted an internal transfer, so they were getting the position. I don't know when the internal transfer person expressed interest in the job, but it had to have been fairly recently (like, within the past day or so). Otherwise, I don't think they would have started interviews...right? I am fairly new to this whole process, but the situation just seems odd to me (not to mention a little unfair). Is this a common occurrence where any of you live?? :confused:

Needless to day, I'm very glad that I took everyone's advice and asked for a phone interview!!) :)

21. DaveG

DaveG Companion

May 26, 2011

Unfortunately, yes. The same thing happened with the school I will be working at next year. Teachers from the high school were involuntarily transferred and picked the middle school to go to (thus taking the position I had already accepted). Not really sure where the mistake was (if it was with the school or the district HR for not finalizing things appropriately), but I was fortunate enough to be offered another position in the same school that I am equally happy with.

22. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 26, 2011

It happens. The position might have been filled for a retirement or opening that was known about early, but once the other cuts get made, people think that they'd be happier in this position than the other one offered.

I'm glad that you didn't pay for the flight!

23. eireannashley

eireannashley Rookie

May 26, 2011

I have a phone interview tomorrow. The secretary who was setting it up said "hows friday a 12:30" and I said "um I am in Chicago" and she said, in a very positive way, "phone interview it is" and she was perfectly nice. I think it is completely acceptable to ask! Good Luck!

24. eireannashley

eireannashley Rookie

May 26, 2011

Ahhh I just saw the rest of the posts...so forgive mine. I am sorry it not work out!

25. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

May 26, 2011

This situation is very common and very fair within schools. A teacher who is in good standing in the district/school should get the opportunity to transfer grades or jobs.

26. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

May 27, 2011

LUC, I agree that teachers already in the district have the right to transfer. If I were in a district already, I would definitely want the chance to switch grades/schools before new hires! I just thought it was odd how last minute it was...interviews had already been going on for 2 weeks. Around where I'm from, internal candidates have a few weeks to request a transfer before the posting even becomes available to external candidates. I am not saying that I feel it was unfair for the internal candidate to get the job...just that the timing of it makes it a little unfair to people who have already spent time & money to go down for an interview under the assumption that the position was going to be open. :)