Need advice please

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by newteacher99, Aug 26, 2014.

1. newteacher99

newteacher99 Rookie

Aug 26, 2014

:dizzy:
    I have had a few interviews for the same school. I finally decided that it was over for me with them (the P never got back to me one way or another). Then on Friday I got a call asking if I wanted a job. I was told by the secretary that I get a call with instructions. I called back on Monday like she told me to. Monday morning: Call me back in an hour. An hour later: I have to ask P. I am mad, sad, and feeling low now. Why do they play with people's lives?

This would have been my first teaching job. I subbed there most of last year. At this point, I will find another place to sub. Im angry.:sorry:

didnt mean to vent, but I hate how employers do this!

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2014

First, we can't see your font or font color, so it is wasted on us. Now to the important stuff - they are swamped this time of year! Perhaps a better phone call would be to ask if there is anything you can do to make the hiring process go smoother. You are anxious, I so get that. However, the secretary can't even talk to the principal if she can't find him, or get him off the phone, or catch him as he runs out the door. They are not intentionally ruining your life. You talk, in the second paragraph, as if the job has been taken away from you, in the past tense. Is that the case? If not, be just a little patient - hard for a first job, I understand - and consider all that is going on as school starts. I see employers as humans doing a job that is hard because they are working with other humans. I appreciate the fact that I work with kids, but don't have to try to employ any of them.

4. newteacher99

newteacher99 Rookie

Aug 26, 2014

Thanks for the responses

I fixed my settings. You are correct lynnettstoy, I am anxious. I have been in graduate school for a few years, have school loans, etc. I applied to so many jobs, heard nothing back. I am new to this business of no one acknowledging your application.

I am older, and that's a factor but I haven't been weaving baskets for all these years. I had a nice career, but decided to pursue teaching. Not sure if I did the right thing, as the field is swamped here in NJ. I guess its not my time yet.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2014

Did you call and ask politely if there is anything you can do on your end to make the hiring process go smoother? I am older than you, I bet, and I was looking, and found, a new job last fall. Stranger things have happened. Trust me when I say that it is seldom personal.

6. newteacher99

newteacher99 Rookie

Aug 26, 2014

Yes, I did call and ask that question. The secretary told me that the principal needs to call me. I never take this stuff personally. I was in Corp America for a long time, and I learned to brush things off a a long time ago. It was so hard to start over , and I have been waiting to just start my new career.

I admit that I am out of practice with rejection because I didn't have too much of it before this. I really don't want to sub again, but I will do what I need to do. I am sorry if I gave you the impression that I thought it was personal.

7. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 26, 2014

At my school (private school in NJ), we just started new faculty orientation yesterday- I'm assuming other schools are doing so too. Can you possibly GO to the school and meet with the P? (It might mean sitting around but at least it shows you are definitely interested)

8. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Aug 26, 2014

Have you tried calling the principal or emailing him directly? I do think he's just busy but if they need to fill a job you'd think they'd need to get in touch with you ASAP! Good luck!

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2014

Trust me when I say that on some level it always feels personal. Perhaps things won't work out for this job, but I suspect there is a decent chance it will. Either way, you are ahead of a lot of the competition. Keep the head high - jobs have a way of finding you just when you thought all was lost. ;)

10. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 27, 2014

Did you teach in the peace corps ? You have to prove that you have the goods. Have this principal come in and observe you while subbing, but make sure the lesson doesn't involve watching a video for 45 minutes.

11. newteacher99

newteacher99 Rookie

Aug 27, 2014

Peace corps?

Not sure what the Peace Corps has to do with anything. I worked for Fortune 500 companies for many years. When a good package came along, I decided to take the money and run, and give back to society by becoming a teacher.:(

I can't fight "city hall", and if I am too old and inexperienced, so be it. I am proud of what I have accomplished in my career. Some things are not meant to be. Honestly, I think sometimes that my past work history is a turnoff, so I dumb it down alot. Have to rethink my decision but thanks to all that responded to me.

:thanks:

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2014

Ignore the peace corps comment.:rolleyes:

May e consider emailing the P directly and tell him that you've been communicating with his secretary and that you are very interested in the position.ask if there's any information you could provide that would expedite the process.

13. newteacher99

newteacher99 Rookie

Aug 27, 2014

(sigh), I did and got the old "going in a different direction comment. Back to the drawing board. :thanks: for your suggestion.

14. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 27, 2014

You know, I'd really like someone to define "going a different direction". Seriously? Did they hire a panda instead? What does that even mean? How annoying and disappointing. *hugs*

15. tired.mom

tired.mom Companion

Aug 27, 2014

Argh, I am so sorry. I did just get hired today, after school has started, so it's possible.

I agree about the panda--what is that "another direction." What on earth does that mean? I mean, it's a school, not a car dealership. I wish they would just say "sorry, we hired someone else with qualifications more to our liking." But they never do. I'm sure it is some kind of liability issue.

Hang in there--it will work out.

16. newteacher99

newteacher99 Rookie

Aug 27, 2014

The old "going in a different direction is a way to let them off the hook".
    It was hurtful, because I had to ask him, he did not plan to tell me. I will not sub in his school again. I work for an agency and there are many other districts. I was a stellar sub and liked by the two AP's who suggested I apply. I can sub in any number of nicer schools.
    This left a bad taste in my mouth