Need advice on type of dog to get for the family

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by zoey'smom, Feb 3, 2010.

1. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Feb 3, 2010

My husband and I are thinking about getting a dog. I don't want to get just any kind of dog. We want one that is good with children. My daughter will be 2 next week and my son will be 4 in May. I am also concern about the dog hair. We don't think we want a big dog. What kind of dog would you suggest? What dogs are good with small children? Any advice would be great. I haven't had a dog since I was little.

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Feb 3, 2010

Welsh Corgis are wonderful with kids! They are small dogs that just think they are big dogs! My aunt has a pair and they are the funniest, sweetest dogs.

4. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 3, 2010

Check out Labradoodles or Goldendoodles. Their size depends upon how big a poodle they are mixed with. I've seen them weigh anywhere from 35 - 75 pounds. They are very sweet and don't shed much. And they are VERY cute.

I have had herding dogs for the past 15 years. They are very smart, but they need a lot of exercise and attention, and are sometimes high strung and destructive when bored.

5. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 3, 2010

I LOVE my Westie...but not sure how they are with small children...since they are terriers. She has a lot of energy, and very loving...to everyone in my family except me! lol...I'm the one that has to bathe her and take her to the vet :-/
    She will love me if I'm the only one in the house...or if I have food...lol

http://www.gopetsamerica.com/dogs/dogs-good-with-kids.aspx

6. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Feb 3, 2010

I know you may not want a big dog, but boxers are great with kids.

A smaller dog that's good with kids are french bulldogs. My aunt has 2 shihtzu's and has 2 boys...ages 7 and 10...they are ROUGH with those dogs...but the dogs love them to death! But they are a lot more maintenance with that long hair!

I would steer clear of chihuahuas, they normally aren't good with kids. And my pug has never been fond of children.

I know some people may say labs...but those things shed like CRAZY. They have an undercoat and all that, which is why.

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 3, 2010

I just got a Golden Retriver. I know it is pretty big, but she is so gentle. If you have read some of my posts about her, you will remember that she raised an orphan litter of kittens. The mom cat got kicked by a cow, and the dog and cat sat together until the cat died. Then my dog produced milk, even though she is fixed, and nursed the kittens. You should have seen how big those cats where. Sorry, a bit off subject.

My point is, find a dog that you like, and fits into your lifestyle. Our dog hardly ever barks, and loves children. I got her mainly for my 9 year old grandson. They play together, they play hide and seek. It is so funny to see a dog looking for a kid. When he is on the floor, she cuddles up next to him. She would sleep with him if we allowed it.

I think bigger dogs are usually better with kids, and more calm. I am sure you will get lots of advice on here.

8. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 3, 2010

Wow, Blue!

I think it depends on how the dog is raised...some of the nicest dogs can be some of the biggest, that you wouldn't expect. My aunt had an Akita and she was very protective of us. She hated for adults (aside from her owners and my parents) to be around us. She knew we didn't like my grandfather's gf and would bark at her and not let her near us...hahaha
    I miss her...she was so sweet. In some Japanese households, they would actually leave the dog to babysit the kids b/c they are so protective.

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 3, 2010

ST, yes, we feel very lucky to have such a wonderful dog. We decided to get a dog, and when I looked around, most places charged about $300. So, I emailed several friends and asked if anyone knew of a dog for free. A good friend emailed me and said she had a Golden Retriever we could have. We really wanted a Golden Retriever, so it was meant to be. Sometimes the door opens without much effort.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 3, 2010

Well, not to sound biased, but Boston Terriers are GREAT! They have amusing characters, will make you laugh, comfort you, lay in your lap or run & play outside. :D

Here's the PROS:

- small/medium size - mine's 15 pounds, but the breed standard states they shouldn't be more then 24. There's 3 different weight classes, so if you get from a breeder, you'll know how big yours will get.

- striking black & white short fur - involves no grooming, short & neat!

- unique-looking - sure, most people love a Lab or German Shepherd & they're great & all, but a Boston's unique. You don't see them around every corner. I've lived in my area for about 22 yrs & have seen only a few that whole time.

- intelligent & alert - they're very trainable

- good w/ infants/kids - very loving

- not a barky-type dog - they don't really bark for no reason (& they shouldn't really whine or yip either)

- not generally a drooler

CONS: (I can only think of one, if you want to consider this a con)

- not the type of dog you can just tie up outside - they're indoor dogs

Other great smaller- sized breeds:

- pugs
    - french bulldogs
    - miniature schnauzers
    - pomeranians
    - beagles
    - cairn terrier
    - chinese crested (if you don't mind a dog w/o much fur!)
    - bichon frises (I did all the work helping my aunt get one & it was fun to do!)
    - dachshunds - they come in short-haired & wire haired. I heard they can be snappy though :(
    - schipperke - cute, little, all-black dog

I loved the time when I was doing research on the breeds I had narrowed down to (BTs & Frenchies). I attended dog shows, talked to breeders & handlers, put myself on waiting lists so when a breeder had the next litter, I'd be notified.

Also if you want a rescue, find rescue groups for whatever breed(s) you want.

Good luck & have fun! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. :)

11. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Feb 3, 2010

I have two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, one Redbone coonhound, and a mixed hound. The Cavaliers are very, very friendly around people. They do have a little bit of a hair problem but the vet gave me some stuff to lessen it and it has worked great. Cavaliers aren't really the cheapest dogs ever. The hounds are wonderful but some can get big.

I would suggest a mixed dog because they usually have great personalities and they are cheaper.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2010

A labrador retreiver!!!!

We've had 2; both were fantastic with the kids. Kira literally climbed all over Koko as a toddler, sitting on her back. When Koko had enough, she simply walked away. She wasn't remotely territorial about her food; the kids could take food out of her bowl and there was no reaction. (Part of that was my husband's incredible work training her.)

Yes, they're big. But they're fantastic!!!

Our current dog is much smaller-- a Jack Russel/ Pug mix. I've got to admit: at 12 months, the whole "still acting like a puppy" thing is driving me a little crazy! She's great with the kids, but getting on my nerves more than I would like to admit.

13. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Feb 4, 2010

I have to jump on the boxer bandwagon. My grandparents, all my aunts and uncles and our family (until my sister and I bucked the trend) always had boxers. They have an incredibly sweet temperament, great with kids. We had one that mothered some baby rabbits we found abandoned once. Very easy to train too.

I would also advise when you narrow down your decision check out forums dedicated to those breeds. You tend to get a really good overview of people's experiences.

14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 4, 2010

I can't believe no one's mentioned a Basset Hound yet! (As I type this, my baby has his big old hound head in my lap.) They are wonderful with children, can entertain themselves, and are really the sweetest dogs on the planet. They just like to snuggle. They are usually relatively small (we ended up with a giant, but that is rare.) Most of their weight is in width, not height. They do shed, but they LOVE to be brushed. The only downside is that they can be stubborn about things, so if you wanted to teach a dog a bunch of neat tricks to show off to your friends, it is not the breed for you. (I've been working with my dogs for awhile, and while my mutt instantly learned to sit, lie down, stay, touch, and shake, my Basset has only managed "be adorable" and "look pitiful.")

15. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Feb 4, 2010

We have a dachshund at home and he's great with my niece whose almost 2 and my nephew is 4. The dog is only 6 months old and he tolerates the kids well.

16. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Feb 4, 2010

Thanks for the website it will be very helpful.

17. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Feb 4, 2010

My son wants a dachshund, because of Toy Story 2. I wasn't sure how they were around children. Also there are some for sale in our area right now. I am hoping we can wait until late spring before we get a dog.

18. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 4, 2010

I would say a mix breed medium sized dog 40 to 60 pounds would be a good match. I have a lab mix that is wonderful with children. My ex has a mal/shep mix that is also great with children. We have an Australian working kelpie that is 19 months old and still acts like a puppy. She still jumps up. We have worked on this and worked on this but she still does it. My mother has a min pin that is not great with children. I finder slightly larger dogs are easier to train. That might just be me.
    http://www.doghobbyist.com

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 4, 2010

These have been my dog experiences:

Black lab/springer spaniel mix: great temperament, loving, drooled, shed a lot, smelled like wet wool often

Akita/wolf (wild) mix: big trouble, unable to be trained, dangerous, but very beautiful

Springer spaniel: loooooong puppyhood, gorgeous, very faithful and loving, drooled like Beethoven, got constant ear infections, smelled, needed lots of grooming

Terrier mutt mix: great personality, loving, faithful, sweet, shed a lot

Pomeranian: (first small dog for me), sweet, smart, very playful, loyal, friendly, doesn't bark much, doesn't shed much, never drools, and I can pick her up and take her where I want to go if I have to

I don't think I'd get another big dog, though I loved all of mine. I also wouldn't want a dog I'd have to pay to get groomed.

20. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Feb 5, 2010

Both of our dogs were great around children. I especially like them because its a smaller dog and doesn't have a high pitched yappy bark. The only thing with dachshunds and small kids is you need to be careful when they are picked up and if they jump off furniture so they don't dislocate their back hips.

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 5, 2010

My mom has a Shiranian. It is a Shih Tzu/Pomeranian mix. You really don't see any Pomeranian in her.
    Anyway, she is the sweetest thing and full of sass. She is hilarious! She is great with kids and everyone. The only person she hasn't immediately taken to is my uncle, but he has a very deep voice. She also gets along very well with other animals (my sister's husky and blue heeler, my cousin's pitbull and bloodhound, and my other cousin's labs, plus my cat).
    She doesn't shed (she does get groomed every few months), she doesn't drool, she isn't yappy. Everyone wants her!
    Her downside is that she wants a lot of attention. But, with kids, that shouldn't be a problem. She will grunt and tap you when she wants attention (SO cute!).
    When my mom told us what kind of dog she was getting we all thought she was crazy. We all hate yappy lap dogs. But she isn't! We all would steal her in a heartbeat!
    [​IMG]
    Wearing her Snuggie (it was below zero and the vet said she needs a sweater or something when she goes outside at that temp.
    [​IMG]

22. Teaching_101

Teaching_101 Companion

Feb 5, 2010

I have a GREAT recommendation: Miniature/Standard Schnauzer.

My wife and I researched dog breeds extensively before we bought our mini Schnauzer.

The miniature breed isn't a "dainty" dog, they can be anywhere from 15-20 pounds and are still considered "miniature," so they're more like a medium-sized dog.

They do NOT shed, at all, but that means you'll have to groom them every now and then. My wife and I just groomed our pup not too long ago, and it was super easy. It's not a difficult grooming job at all.

Our pup has one of the best temperments we've ever seen in a dog (although this can vary among all breeds). I would suggest looking up "how to pick a pup" before you decide on one. It is very illuminating.

Finally, our pup is extremely smart. She picks up on everything very fast, and with just a little patience, you can teach her any trick. She already knows a LOT, and she is only 5 months.

23. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Feb 5, 2010

I suppose I'm a bit biased but I have a beautiful Mutt. She was a stray and is a border collie/ black lab mix. She is loving was trained very fast, and is very gentle with children. She's my little baby.

She does shed a bit but I have to say that my experiences with mixed breeds have been the best!

24. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 5, 2010

I would check out the local pounds. We found our mix there & LOVED her!!! I felt so bad when we were there, there were just too many dogs... I wanted to take them home. I've had a lot of different dogs in my life. I do remember my golden LOVED kids & when I was little we had a border collie...LOVED him!!! He was great we would crawl over him, put things on him like towels. He didn't care. My dad had them growing up & said they are great at "herding" as well. His border would keep the kids away from the road & I've heard of some keeping kids away from the stairs. They are beautiful as well!!!

Although for either the golden or the border collie you'll have hair.

25. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 5, 2010

I should add that I did get a rescue this time around. I love her so much and get so much satisfaction every time I see her happy.

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

27. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Feb 6, 2010

Boston terrier - a little hyper as puppies but extremely good with kids, older people, loving, small, play with the kids, and will bark when they hear someone that does not belong near. Perfect dog once they get past the puppy stage. That is true of most dogs though.:hugs:

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 6, 2010

My pug has the same temperment as the Boston Terriers mentioned by PPs. I don't have any kids but in the summer he is always in the front yard and the neighborhood kids always come by to pet him. He is a big baby and loves the attention he gets from them. He has also been around my little nephew ever since he was a baby and he pretty much has always sniffed and will tolerate his petting. I'm sure by the time my nephew he is 2 years old he'll be able to play with him a bit more.

29. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 6, 2010

The AKC/Eukanuba dog show comes on TV TONIGHT on the Animal Planet channel. Check your local listings. If you're PT, it's on at the following days/times:

Sat 8pm - 11pm
    Sat 11pm - 2am
    and
    tomorrow (Sun) from 3am - 6am.

You should definitely watch to have a good look at the breeds. :)

30. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Feb 6, 2010

Thanks Aliceacc, this was very helpful. I have been looking at it all morning. Because of size of house and yard, we want a small or medium size dog. Our babysitter has a Black Labrador and she is great with the kids. She is very protective of the kids. I wouldn't mind getting a Labrador or a golden retriever, but I don't think we have the room. Two years ago we did try a Pug and that did not go well for many reasons. My sons birthday is in May so I think we will try to get a dog then. It also going to depend on price and what is available around here.

31. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Feb 6, 2010

Thanks, I will have to check it out.

32. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 6, 2010

I'm a fan of mutts. Instead of a pupppy, you can get a dog around a year old. By that time you can tell more about their temperament, and they have outgrown a lot of that puppy aggravation stage.

My friend has a really sweet-tempered mutt that is fairly small. She looks kind of like a Jack Russell, but she doesn't act like one at all.

I had a German shepherd & Australian shepherd mix who wasn't too big, but really sweet tempered. DH has a German shepherd and Alaskan husky mix. She's a little more high-strung. Our neighbors have a mutt that looks like a small black lab. I think he's part pit bull by the shape of his head. He's super friendly and cute. He came in the house and slept on my couch all afternoon a few weeks ago. He seems to like me better than his family.

Petfinder.com is a good place to browse for pets. That's where DH found his dog.