Need advice on two complications

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by MathManTim, Aug 15, 2009.

1. MathManTim

MathManTim Companion

Aug 15, 2009

I go live in front of kids in less than 36 hours. Orientation week is over. I think I'm ready, but I have 2 complications to deal with. I need some helpful advice.

1) We have a "homeless" teacher, who takes her cart from room to room. She will be teaching a Personal Finance course in my classroom during 4th period, my one and only planning period. Will I be able to get any work done, or should I plan to do my prep work elsewhere?

2) I have a "split" 5th period lunch. My kids are in class from 12:00 to 12:25, go to lunch until 12:55, and then come back to finish class from 1:00 to 1:25. How do I schedule tests around this?

G-Minus 1 day, 10 hours

MathManTim

3. pumpkincup

pumpkincup Rookie

Aug 15, 2009

1. I think it depends on the teacher's style when she is working in your room. We have had music in the classroom for several years and I can't get as much done because of everything that is going on in the room. However, it's a pain to take things out of the room to do my planning. I just come in a little earlier that day and get some work done that I would usually do during my planning time. Sometimes, I will eat my lunch at that time, and get some work done during lunch time.

2. I'm not sure, could you give your test in two parts. They do part 1, go to lunch, then when they come back give them part two?

4. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Aug 15, 2009

I had this split lunch period problem myself last year. I had to split up my tests for that class. If a test was four pages, they'd get 2 before lunch, and 2 after lunch. Or however you want to chop it up.

That said, I don't like it. Many kids took the 1st part, then frantically studied over lunch, or asked their friends about the test, to do better on the 2nd part.

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 15, 2009

When I was a traveling teacher, it never mattered to me whether the teacher stayed in his/her classroom during his/her prep. I also made it a point to speak with each teacher before school started to establish some ground rules - was I allowed to erase the board? could I borrow materials? was storage available? Will you have the opportunity to speak with the traveling teacher before he/she actually shows up to teach? It you are trying to cover all the bases and be totally prepared, I think you should prepare to leave during your prep that way if the teacher prefers you leave you are ready and if you can stay you have your "stuff" ready to work in your class.

As far as test, when I had split lunch I did as the other posters suggested with half the test before and half after. My subject matter was a little easier with this format as the first half was M/C, vocab, and the second part was the essay portion.

Good Luck on Monday :)

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2009

I would have a hard time working in my room while someone else was teaching, plus I wouldn't want to distract their students. I'd keep file ready to take away to the staff lounge or workroom or wherever you can find a quiet corner.

And good luck on Monday!

7. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2009

I always have a traveling teacher in my classroom during my off periods. I also was a traveling teacher so I know haw they feel in that aspect. I always leave the classroom and go next door to work in the library. I feel that the classroom belongs to that teacher for that period and they do not need me hanging around to disrupt. I would not plan to be a disruption but it does not take much to get high school students off track so I always plan to leave.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2009

1. It's very rare that any teacher in my building has a reoom entirely to themselves all day long. When someone else is in the room, it's THAT person's room. Offer him or her a shelf, a place to put a text book, a place for a file folder-- anything you can. It's miserable being that person, and build the good will--- one of these years it may be your turn.

As to prep: either bring your stuff with you to the faculty room, or consider it a period to clear your mind and relax. Is it possible for you to have lunch 4th and prep during that split 5th period?

2. Wow... I've never heard of that. Is it the same kids every day? If so, give them one page of the test during the first half, then let them have both pages for the remainder. Or ask other teachers on staff, who have dealt with it before, how they handle it.

Good luck Tim!

9. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Aug 16, 2009

I would talk to the teacher who will be sharing your room. First, I would offer her some space! A bulletin board or a bookshelf or something. It is so hard to be a traveling teacher! But also it is hard to not be in your room, especially if there are resources in their that you need to access. My computer is in my room so I had to leave it during prep. Do try to organize your planning period so that you are not coming and going during the whole time.

In the past when I have had split lunch and I had a test that I did not want to split up I switched lunch with another teacher. Just clear it with administration and make sure that the class you are switching with has about the same number of students so that is doesn't mess up the lunch schedule. Except for problems with lunch I like split lunch because it breaks up the time. We have all our study halls planned during lunch so I am hoping for split lunch!

10. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Aug 16, 2009

I'm one of the few in my school who isn't traveling this year. I feel bad for those in the situation, though. I would offer her any extra space that you can. She'd probably appreciate having some storage space and a room she doesn't need to bring a cart to.

As far as the split lunch, try to do the split testing. Think of it almost as you would a huge test (like a midterm) that you might have to split over two days. Give them a portion to finish in the first half, and a portion to finish in the second half. I'd have the first half be the easier stuff, and the second the harder stuff. Count on them studying at lunch, so make the second portion things that are not simply memorization (such as definitions), but more application.

11. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Aug 16, 2009

I have a block split with lunch also, and most teachers just let it be a break in the middle of the test. I usually just tell them to close their tests, flip them over so no one can see their answers, and set their calculator on top. Yes, the kids can study more at lunch if they shove their notes in their pockets (though the majority of mine don't), but with math, IMO, a 20 minute lunch (when it takes about 15 minutes to go through the line) is not going to give a kid much extra help. Plus I give a few different versions of the test, so the chances of their friend having the same test and telling them a specific answer aren't very good. Last year when I only had 20 minutes before lunch and the bulk of the block after lunch we'd sometimes review for the 20 minutes and then start the test after lunch.

As far as the planning time, plan to leave. I shared my room last year and it stinks, but as much as you'll probably dislike it, just remember that teacher has it worse. I sometimes stayed in my room (as that teacher didn't mind) but it was rare, because her kids were easily distracted and wanted to turn around and talk to me, and I got really bored listening to her students read the science text.

Good luck on your first day!

12. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2009

I just wanted to say good luck!! Im sure it will all be fine! :)

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 16, 2009

Whether or not I stay in the room depends on what I need to get done. Both the floating teacher & I tell the kids that the floating teacher is in charge. I won't talk to the kids during this time. (when I feel the need to, I leave the room.)