Need advice on schooling.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by niceguy71, Jul 18, 2007.

1. niceguy71

niceguy71 New Member

Jul 18, 2007

I teach in California and currently have a job at a private school. I have a preliminary credential and in California if you do recieve a clear credential with 5 years of the Preliminary, then you lose even that credential. Here's my problem. In about 3 years, my preliminary credential expires. I want to take classes to clear my credential, but since I am at a private school, I have to enter a Masters program which includes the induction that you have at public schools. I don't know what to do. If I take the program to clear my credential then I end up with a Masters, and I heard that it is very hard to get hired with a Masters. If I don't take the program, then I lose my credential in 3 years. The private school is nice, but I worry about a Master's degree hurting me if I ever decide to leave and get a job at a public school. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

3. happyteacher

happyteacher Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

I say go for a masters. If you are a good teacher they will want you regardless of having to pay you more! Most good principals want the best for their students and appreciate education. I was hired as a first year teacher with a masters and had no problem finding a position. Good luck!

4. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Jul 18, 2007

My prelim credential expires in Jan 2011, I received it in Dec 2005. Does this mean that my prelim will really expire in 2010? I am confused. I do not have a permanent job yet so I have not gone through induction to clear it.

5. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

Get your master's - I worried about getting hired with one too, but the principal I work for was more concerned about finding someone who would be great in the classroom and work well with others, including himself.