Need advice on behavior contract

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Birdie86, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Birdie86

Birdie86 Rookie

Jan 8, 2016

I'm going to begin a behavior system with a student on Monday who has a hard time keeping his hands off others, uses inappropriate language and gestures, and has on multiple occasions told kids to do bad things or the opposite of what I'm saying. My behavior clip chat doesn't work for him, and his reprimanding at home apparently doesn't either. I'm going to try with him having two Cups (1 and 2) and 5 Popsicle sticks. He gets to move 1 stick from cup 1 to cup 2 for each block/subject transition if he was well behaved and made good choices. At the end of the day if he has all the sticks moved to cup 2 he will get to choose a reward. This will be a daily thing. My question is....should I be able to move one of his already moved sticks in cup 2 back to cup 1 if he does wrong, or should he be able to leave his already moved sticks in cup 2 even if he turns around and makes a bad choice? Suggestions?

3. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jan 8, 2016

If, first thing in the morning, he doesn't get to move his stick over, does that ruin his chances of getting the reward for the whole day, or will he be able to improve and still get the reward? I'd maybe say that he needs to be able to move 4/5 of the sticks over, to keep him interested even if he has one bad period.

4. Birdie86

Birdie86 Rookie

Jan 8, 2016

Do you mean if he isn't able to move it at all for the first block? Well I was thinking he could still be able to get all 5 over, he would just have to work extra hard and be extra well behaved. Maybe that would be too confusing for him... I like the idea of keeping the sticks for the blocks or transition periods because that way he won't be getting all his sticks over early in the day and getting rewarded, then have the rest of the day to potentially go downhill and not care because he already got rewarded.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jan 9, 2016

I would let him keep the sticks once earned.

otterpop likes this.
  6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 9, 2016

And I would rethink the time frame. A whole day may simply too long.

bella84 likes this.
  7. Feb 3, 2016

A behavior plan that we use in K allows the child to earn a smile, heart, sticker, star, etc., every 30 min. And over the whole day if he earned X amount he got a treat. So there was the immediate reward of the sticker (or whatever you want to use. Sometimes I use a sticker sometimes it's a single cheezit...whatever strikes their fancy that week) and then they earned a "big" treat at the end of the day (usually something out of my treat bucket). And if they have a really good week, then they might get chips and juice on Friday. They really need all of these steps and rewards along the way to consistently reinforce the good behaviors.