Need advice on a personal situation

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by andstuff, Aug 12, 2015.

1. andstuff

andstuff Rookie

Aug 12, 2015

So I start my first year of teaching in two days in 6th, 7th and 8th grade science. I need a little advice on one thing though.

I have what amounts to a lazy eye (not the medical term but you get the point) It's in my right eye and while looking straight it goes out to the right. Most people say it isn't noticeable others say they notice (mainly very young kids without filters over what they say.) I have subbed and did my student teaching without bringing it up and everything went fine and no one said or made comments about it (directly to me.) Although I found that if i have 2-3 kids close together and I don't say the students name I am talking to they are not sure who I am talking to.

The problem is I am very self-conscious about the issue and always have been.

My question is should I mention it and let them know what it is and let them know to focus on my left eye? Eventually we will get to a section on eyes where I can dig deeper into the topic. Talking about it makes me uncomfortable (even typing this makes me uncomfortable) Or should I just avoid it and not say anything and go on with the school year like any regular Joe?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 12, 2015

Personally, I would rather bring it up myself very matter of factly than have them potentially talk about it among themselves. At the same time, you could talk about differences and let them know that they can confide in you about something that bothers them about themselves.

4. Banana0

Banana0 Rookie

Aug 15, 2015

I would personally bring it up. I completely understand that you're uncomfortable about it, but I think it might be the best course of action to at least make it appear like you're totally cool with it and don't care. Like Upsadaisy said, it's better than the kids talking about it amongst themselves. It's not entertaining if you already don't care about it. Middle schoolers can be in a weird emotional, hormonal place (which sometimes leads to them being not-so-nice) as well as very curious (which is a normal part of their development). I've had kids comment about the weirdest things on me, and they will notice if I so much as change my nail polish on my toes. If you're uncomfortable even typing about it, maybe you can practice what you'll say to a mirror until it's comfortable.

5. workingwithkids

workingwithkids Rookie

Aug 15, 2015

andstuff,

I understand your concern because I have a lazy eye (my left one) and my eyes cross especially when I am tired. At my last eye appointment (I went somewhere new) they had trouble getting my eyes to focus for the screening. The doctor recommended something he called a prism, it is put in your lenses of your glasses and your eyes focus on the prism so your eyes don't wander as much. I had it put in my lenses and I noticed a difference, maybe this may help you.

Regarding your question, on the first day of school, I ask the kids to notice something different about the person next to them (such as color of clothes, whether they wear glasses or not, have braces on their teeth, etc). We then share them with the class. Then I talk about how our differences make us unique and each difference is to be treasured. Then I tell them that we always build people up by only paying them compliments. I work with children with special needs that are in gen ed. settings and the "regular" kids are always very kind after this activity.

6. andstuff

andstuff Rookie

Aug 16, 2015

First, thanks for the comments everyone. I ended up adding it to the about me discussion on the first day of class. I talked about myself and what to expect /rules for the year in my class. The talk about my eye went well, I had 2 kids have the same condition I do. I plan on doing it every year for the new 6th graders and including it in the chapters about eyes later this year.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2015

So glad it went well! :thumb:

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 17, 2015

That was brave and honest of you, and stuff, and I'm so glad the kids responded as they did. And what a gift for those who share the condition. Good for you.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2015

Glad it went well!

10. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2015

Terrific!