Need advice landing my first teaching job

Discussion in 'General Education' started by PBJ4Lunch, May 17, 2014.

1. PBJ4Lunch

PBJ4Lunch New Member

May 17, 2014

Need interview advice

Hello!
    I have my Fla. Statement of Status of Eligibility and have passed the Elementary Education K-6 subject area exam. I have also submitted my online application to the school district I would like to teach in. I have been religiously checking the job postings for the past few months, and there has been very little activity. Is it frowned upon to email to the principals of the schools I am interested in? Also, I am not sure how I should sell myself with no teaching experience. I am very eager to get a job and begin planning. I would like to have as much time as possible to prepare and be the best I can be.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or ideas. :help:
    Thank you for your time!

3. Robert Cox12

Robert Cox12 Rookie

May 19, 2014

Hey i am also looking for teaching job but same is situation i am facing and i am not getting this point that why i am not getting a job as a teacer because i have applied in different schools may be i am facing problem in my cv?

4. Hurricane J

Hurricane J Rookie

May 19, 2014

Sometimes it is hard to land your first teaching position if you have little to now experience. I had quite a few offers because I was open to moving and moved from Michigan to South Carolina. Highlight your strengths in your resume, and tell them why you are the right fit for their school.
    Emailing a principal is never a bad idea, although I would not bombard them with Emails.
    If you have time and patience you could take on a sports team/club/substitute and work to get to know the principal/Athletic director to help get you into the school.

5. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

May 19, 2014

Anyway you can get into a district, do it. I worked for six months as an para in one district before I realized that there was no way in h*** I was going to land a job there. I took a risk at a temporary licensed teaching opportunity in a district fifty miles away from where I was living. I was a long commute and it was definitely only for two months: the principal had a huge grant she had to blow in two months or she would lose it, so she hired licensed teachers to do group tutoring.
    I met a vice principal who loved me and referred me to a principal who had an opening.
    Do anything you can to get that foot in the door.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 19, 2014

Get to know the admin. and teachers by subbing or volunteering! Each positive interaction you have with the adults at a site is a step in the right direction.

Once an administrator sees what you have to offer, all s/he has to do is make a phone call to HR so you can be recommended for an interview at a site with an opening! Our HR would much rather take a recommendation from a principal than look at hundreds of applications from EdJoin.

7. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

May 19, 2014

PBJ

You may also want to consider applying to other districts, if they are close to home.(I know county districts in FL can be large and some schools aren't close.)Good luck-many schools in FL are just now posting openings and some allow transfers within the district first. I hope you get a job soon!

8. PBJ4Lunch

PBJ4Lunch New Member

May 20, 2014

Thank you for all of your advice! I greatly appreciate the time you took to reply to my post.
    Do you think that right now would be a bad/chaotic time to email the principals since it is the end of the year?
    Also, would it be acceptable to CC the Vice Principal, or is that a little pushy?

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 20, 2014

It's a chaotic time of year, but ALL year tends to be pretty busy.

I'd definitely "cc" the VP. You're bound to catch one of their attention.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 21, 2014

I would definitely email the principals in the schools/districts that you are interested in. Just because there is no job postings right now does not mean that there may not be in the future, and if you send in your resume now then you are already ahead of the game. Good luck!

11. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

May 24, 2014

This is a great idea. I'll start doing this. :)

12. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

May 24, 2014

This is a great idea. I'll start doing this. :)