Need Advice/Help ASAP...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by ThirdGrade123, Dec 15, 2005.

1. ThirdGrade123

ThirdGrade123 Companion

Dec 15, 2005

I teach 3rd grade. One of my students was diagnosed with dyslexia last year. He is now classified and receives basic skills help in LA and Math. However, we are a small, private school. I do feel in my heart that he would be better off in a public school with better trained individuals or at least in a classroom with an aide who can assist him. Anyway, I have tried since Sept to contact his mom..all to no avail. Apparently, she feels there is nothing wrong with him. Tonight I bumped into her, by chance, one again expressed my concern and she told me to call her tomorrow. Now, I know that she feels nothing is wrong with him, so I need to inform her of what has been going on with regards to schoolwork and homework. I cannot outright say, "I think your child should be in public school," but I am going to say that everyone here is doing the best for him but his total needs are not being met. I want to request that he stay after school once a week for extra tutoring by me.
    I am afraid that mom will not go for the extra help and definitely will not seek outside means to help her son (tutoring, Sylan, etc). What else can I do for him? What can I say to her to make the conversation go smoothly?

Also, I do notice that he comes to school smelling malodorous. Sometimes with dirty shirts and hair. Do I have a right to mention this? Should I not?

Please help! I know you all are so awesome and always give good advice. Thanks!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 16, 2005

Say that you are sure that she wants the best for her child and you would like to make sure he gets what he needs educationally. Explain what you have observed. Ask if she sees these traits at home. Name several key areas that you wish to address (comprehension or math facts or something) and let her know that you are going to track his progress weekly and share the results with her from time to time. Mention that if his progress does not appear to be adequate for his abilities, that you will recommend tutoring.

Keep meticulous records of any interventions you try. Keep copies of writing samples or math tests, etc.

Don't suggest that she remove her child from your school. It could get you fired and might not be the best move anyway.

4. boogaboo214

boogaboo214 Companion

Dec 16, 2005

if she does not go for extra help after school you could offer sending extra things home with the student that the parent could help with that might help with his achievement or maybe even enlist the help of another teacher for a while show the other teacher the students work in comparison to the rest of the classes and get the other teacher to sit in on a conference for moral support and back up
    that way the parent can not say it is just you picking on the child
    you could also possibly give the child extra help during school in the form of a possible teacher's assistant. and about the other i belive that would be another topic for anothe day you would not want to upset the parent and cause them to turn down your suggestions due to being mad.

5. ThirdGrade123

ThirdGrade123 Companion

Dec 16, 2005

Thanks for your input. I called today just so like so many days before and of course, she did not pick up. I'm just so angry right now b/c I wish she would be more willing to speak with me. But, I will try again the week after Christmas vacation. I just learned of something else potentially going on at home, so I'm trying to sort through all the information in my head.

Thank you again..and Happy holidays.