Need advice: Going from one subject to all subjects.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Bradley, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Bradley

Bradley New Member

Jun 13, 2021

Hi all, I just joined the forum. Looks like there are lots of great resources here!

For my six years in the profession, I've only taught middle school math. I feel like I've got really good at it. But I've just accepted a position teaching all subjects to one 7th grade class, minus art and PE. And I've got a lot of anxiety about it! How do I plan for so much?! I know elementary teachers are pros at this, but it seems like it'll be overwhelming, and I'll have a lot of late nights.

My question is this: I have a couple months to prepare. I'm going to print out all the standards for each subject, and get myself organized (not my strong point). Can you give me some tips on how you might get started planning? Or what things I should consider that I may not be considering, such as transitions? Are there workbooks you can recommend, or some other resource that would help give me some structure while I develop my own style in each subject?

I don't want to fail these kids. I also don't want to be planning all night and weekend, I have a new kid around who needs my attention.

Thanks,
    Bradley

3. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2021

The first thing I would check is if the school has available resources for all 7th grade subjects. You may or may not have a base set of materials to start your process.

4. CherryOak

CherryOak Comrade

Jun 15, 2021

How interesting! That's getting the best of both worlds, if you ask me. I initially trained for secondary and am now in upper elementary - one main reason is due to getting to teach multiple subjects and getting to know one group of students really well. There are some advantages, for sure.

Ok, if you're overwhelmed, divide and conquer. For example, when I switch grades, I usually start by unit planning for science and history. They are the least dependent on students' prior achievement and interests. With each unit, I seek cross curricular options in reading and math standards - best history units for biographies, best science experiments to use statistical analysis, best literature line ups, etc. That way, during the insanity of changing reading and math lessons to better differentiate for the students' needs, part of my planning is ready to go - at least for the first year or at least with minimal changes.

It's at least a place to start. But, yes, planning for multiple subjects can be intense.