Need advice for tomorrow ASAP

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pumpkin83, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Pumpkin83

Pumpkin83 Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

So I just got hired by a district on Friday afternoon :D (as in 2 days ago). New teacher orientation starts Monday (tomorrow morning). I also am meeting with HR on Mon. afternoon. I assume that tomorrow I will be signing my contract. :cool:

What do I do? I don't even know how many pages are contracts usually? Do i sit and read through each page??? Will they automatically make a copy for me or should I just ask for a copy for myself to keep. Will the contract be specific to ME with my salary and stuff or just a generic contract for all teachers and then they just write in my name and tell me where I will start on the pay scale?

What other questions should I ask or do? This is my first teaching job and have no idea how this process works. :help: I would like to think that HR will be helpful and be looking out for my best interest.....but you never know!! So any advice on what to do or make sure to say or get copies of...anything would be helpful. Thank you!! :thanks:

3. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Aug 19, 2007

My district has a single page standard contract that lists the salary. You can request a copy of the teacher's contract content. The other teachers should be able to help you out. If your school has an education association find out who to contact.
    Congratulations and good luck!:2up:

4. sunfl3815

sunfl3815 Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

Well...congrats:) I read over my contract. It was not extremely long. They did not give me a copy right then but mailed one to me. My contract told me what step I was on also. It's nothing to worry about..the hard part is getting hired, so you're at the easy part:)

5. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 19, 2007

it really depends on your district as to what the process is. For the most part you will sign a contract and fill out your payroll documents. Bring your ssn card, photo id, copy of your diploma and teaching certificates and any other documentation you think you may need. They will probably also request your official transcripts. If you want auto deposit, bring your checkbook so you can give a voided check. If you are signing a contract they may have it notarized on sight for you. At this point just ask for a copy for your records.

Dress professionally and go along with the flow. Smile, your hired!

Be sure to ask about new hire training requirements, how soon your first check will be, (some districts make you wait 2 months for a paycheck) how soon will your benefits kick in and so forth.

If you can get into your classroom find out where the lounge is, the big bulletin board paper, and find out what your allowance is to order supplies.

Congrats on your new job.

6. funkychickenchi

funkychickenchi Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

All the contracts I have signed have been 1 page that includes your salary. They have always given me 2-including continuing year contracts. You will want to find out about orientations. Most of your questions would probably be for the school principal. You want to ask about a mentor. Make sure you know when and where you are teaching and what grade. Time of school day. Ask about curriculum requirements. I find I dont have questions until I get in there.

Good luck-you'll do great! :2up:

Heidi

7. mviera

mviera Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

The contract , at least in FL is a one page document with start date and end date and salary info, you basically sign it, thats it, It states that you will not leave before contract end date. A ton of info is given to you but relax it gets easier.

8. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Aug 19, 2007

My contract is one page. Lists my duties, my salary, tha I must pay back my salary if I do not fulfill my contract, etc. It has my signature and the superintendent's.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 19, 2007

Congratulations, Pumpkin83! Will you have a mentor? Find a friendly face at orientation and ask for suggestions. Find out about attendance procedures so you get that straight for the first day. Good luck!!

10. Pumpkin83

Pumpkin83 Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

Thank you everyone for the QUICK replies! Now I feel much more confident as far as what to expect and do tomorrow! :) I will have a mentor and I have already talked to her on the phone this weekend. She was very nice and welcoming, saying that if I needed anything to call her at home or even on her cell phone. I will take all of your advice and make 'new friends' tomorrow (i feel like its the first day of kinder for me! hehe :D).

Again, thank you so much to everyone on these boards. Without even knowing it you have all helped me land my first teaching job. I have spent countless hours reading the different threads and learning new ideas and procedures from them. All the information I gained, without a doubt, helped me in my interviews. So thank you, thank you, thank you. Now that I am a teacher I can post my ideas and help others find a job! :cool:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  11. sciencegirl

sciencegirl Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

Congratulations! You must be excited/nervous!

I agree with previous posters--most likely you'll be handed a single-page document to sign tomorrow. Don't feel pressured to sign before reading though; I think it's always wise to ask for a few extra minutes to read something you're being asked to sign! (You'll of course sign it anyway, but it's always good to read it!)

Also, be aware that there are possibly 2 contracts involved in your employment. For example, when I worked in CA I ran into this issue: I had a one-page, signed contract with my district. However, I found out the hard way that there is another contract (20 something pages) between the district and the teachers' union. Why is this important? Well, when I had the opportunity to switch sites after my first year of teaching to work at a great new school in the same district, I was not permitted to do so, even after interviewing and being hired. According to the contract between the district and the teacher's union, you cannot switch sites until after 2 years of probationary service at the same site. I never signed any such document; the one-page contract that I signed indicated nowhere that I was essentially committing myself to 2 years of service at the same site! This was very disappointing after all the energy I went through to get selected at the new site. It all worked out for me to stay at the original site, but needless to say, I would've liked to have known that there was a behind-the-scenes binding contract that I never saw or signed! Check online or with your union to see if a more detailed contract exists between the union and the district! It won't affect things for tomorrow, but in the long run it's nice to know what your obligations are, especially while you're probationary (pre-tenured.)

Best of luck & congratulations!

12. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2007

Congrats on your job! I agree with everyone else- my contract I sign is only 1 page. I have a small booklet that lists everything in it, salary guides, etc. I don't think I've ever read the entire thing, but I keep it handy and look through it often:)

Good luck and HAVE FUN TOMORROW!!!