Need advice for teaching in Austin, Texas!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by newtothis.help, Jul 19, 2015.

1. newtothis.help

newtothis.help Rookie

Jul 19, 2015

Hello everyone.

I'm from Macedonia, Europe and finished college 3 years ago to be an Italian teacher. I've got my degree evaluated and according to U.S equivalence is: Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in Italian Language and Literature.
    Planing to move in Austin, TX permanently.
    I'm almost 80% sure that I won't be able to find a job as an Italian teacher (Italian Language is not so popular in the US schools) so my second option is teaching Spanish ( i know to speak a little bit, and I'm willing to take the core subjects test ) but the PROBLEM is that I'm not quite sure that I'll get a job as a Spanish teacher cause there are many native speakers living in TX.

So if anyone knows how big are my chances to get a job as Spanish teacher in Austin, please let me know.If is not Spanish, please suggest me another subject to teach (lack of ...... teachers), where the chances to get the jobs are good, because all I care is to teach!
    Waiting for your responses.
    Thank you so much in advance.

3. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jul 19, 2015

You could probably be a bilingual teacher. I dont know how common those are in Austin, but some districts in houston are desperate for them.
    I'd take a look at what they are hiring for right now so maybe you'll get an idea of what is in demand. Try charter schools too.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 19, 2015

Austin has always had a tight market. Are you only wanting high school?

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 19, 2015

I just checked the AISD page. This late in the hiring season, they have over 30 bilingual elementary ed positions open. That might be a good fit.

6. newtothis.help

newtothis.help Rookie

Jul 19, 2015

It can be middle school or high school.

7. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Jul 19, 2015

I'm a little unclear - I know Italian and Spanish are similar, but do you speak, read and write Spanish fluently? This is (usually?) necessary to be a bilingual teacher. Also, are you working on getting certified in Texas?

SageScience likes this.