Need advice for creating new learning content.

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by AllTimeHistory, Sep 5, 2020.

1. AllTimeHistory

AllTimeHistory New Member

Sep 5, 2020

Hi everyone,
    I'm currently stuck in quarantine, and I've been looking for something to do to pass the time. I know that there is a lot of online learning going on right now, and students are not always able to access all the resources that they would otherwise have in the classroom. So I've decided, as an avid history student, that I would begin a Youtube channel where I could make educational videos to help kids get a better grasp on historical events and concepts. I want to make videos that are not only informative, but also might help kids who don't know that they like history yet to become interested in pursuing the subject beyond what they are required to learn in school. I'm looking to make 20-30 minute videos that cover more broad subjects and time periods (such as the American Civil War, or Mycenaean Greece etc.), as well as some maybe 10-20 minute videos covering more specific topics (Battle of Gettysburg, founding of Jamestown etc.). After going over some current school curriculums that I acquired, I've determined that the best place for me to start would be a series of videos exploring American history, as it seems to be the most prevalent among all grades. I'm mostly looking to appeal to 7th-12th grade students.
    So what I would like to know from you all as teachers is what would you like to see in such a video series? If you were going to recommend a video or series of videos to your kids as something they could watch that might help them learn more about the subject, what would you want that video to include? How would you want it to be formatted? And what are some things that I should avoid that may make it less appealing to my targeted age group? Any advice would be appreciated, and I hope that I'll be able to make something that helps kids learn more about all the amazing history that is out there. Thank You!

3. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Sep 6, 2020

Are you a history teacher? If so I would make them towards whatever the state standards are in your state. That way they are targeted at a group in a useful way and you can use them in your own classroom.

I also wouldn't make the videos 30 minutes long if your audience is 7-12th grade. They wont watch it. I would break it down into smaller topics 8-10 minutes max. (I know this from my experience. I make videos for my own students. Average view time is never more than 8 or so minutes)

MrTempest likes this.