Need advice ASAP

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Jess93, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Jess93

Jess93 Rookie

Jul 2, 2015

Need advice ASAP: Interview at School That I Didn't Apply to

Okay, so I had 5 interviews at a primary school not too long ago. The rounds consisted of a screener, 2 second rounds with teachers (1 interview for each grade), superintendent interview, and final interview and demo with admin and teachers. This was dragged out during an entire month. The last interview went pretty well and the principal said it was perfect. I thought I had the job in the bag for lack of better words, but a week later I received a generic rejection email. I promptly emailed back expressing my sadness, explaining what I learned, and stated should anything come up at the school to keep me in mind.

This morning, I received a phone call from the intermediate school of the same district. They want me to come in for an interview for the position I applied for. But there's a catch, I never applied for the position. The position opened up right before or after I was rejected, and I was too upset to apply, nor did I have interest with the district after all I was put through.

My question is what do I do? Did the principal from the next door school recommend me or did the school just imply I had applied there (since it was through applitrack)? Wouldn't it be awkward to go for an interview? How about meeting the superintendent again? I feel like the entire situation is awkward. Help!

3. Jess93

Jess93 Rookie

Jul 2, 2015

Contemplating if I should call back and schedule an interview!

4. London

London Rookie

Jul 2, 2015

Even if you don't take the job, you could think of it as practice. I'm sorry you had to jump through so many hoops.

5. Jess93

Jess93 Rookie

Jul 2, 2015

Yeah you're probably right. I just have not so great memories from what I was put through.

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 2, 2015

It sounds like they really like you... They just found someone else they liked "that" much better for that particular position. They probably want you somehow and are hoping this position will be a better fit. I'd accept the interview and go in with an open mind. They clearly liked you enough, or you wouldn't have made it to the final round last time.

7. newteacher14

newteacher14 Rookie

Jul 2, 2015

Yes you should go back! Maybe you won't have to go through all the rounds again. I think that your email asking them to keep you in mind worked and they thought of you when a new position opened up.

8. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

Jul 2, 2015

I would definitely go in for the interview!

9. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2015

I would definitely go. I remember a former P liked two candidates and choose Person A, but he was so impresses with Person B that he recommended her to a neighboring school. She has been there for about 10 years now. GO, GO, GO!

10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2015

Absolutely go. If you jumped through all of those hoops, it does mean you were really close to their top choice. Most likely, the principal of the school you originally interviewed with told the principal of the intermediate school that you were a strong candidate. I can't promise this, but if you've already met with the super and everything it's possible that if this second school likes you, you won't have to do all of that again. You already have a huge leg up on the other competition for the position. I can't guarantee that you will get the position but you definitely have a good shot. I would call and schedule the interview immediately.

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2015

You told them to consider you a candidate going forward, and that is exactly what they have done. Experience interviewing would be a positive. Not going is the proverbial cutting off your nose to spite your face - nothing is gained by it.

12. Jess93

Jess93 Rookie

Jul 2, 2015

I scheduled an interview. Should I mention my interviews at the other school that have caused me to learn so much about the district? I just really don't want to go through the entire process again. I literally have four interviews at four different schools/districts next week. My head is spinning!!

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2015

Since the intermediate school is most likely under different administrators, I would perhaps take what I knew about the district, marry it to what you can research about the intermediate school goals, objectives, weaknesses, and strengths, but interview as if from scratch, but very well informed. I certainly wouldn't mention too much about the other series of interviews, especially if you can't talk about it without the sound of betrayal and huge disappointment in your voice. New school, new people to impress. You can take it from there. By and large, interviews shouldn't be intensely taxing, at least in the early going, because you are being given the chance to build interest and some approval - and you do that by being yourself. Sell your abilities, but don't try to sell them a bill of goods that you can't deliver.

FWIW, I have had more than a few interviews, and the ones that are invariably the most successful are the ones where you are closest to the real you.

Good luck.