Need advice asap! Should I take this job?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by pommom, Sep 25, 2015.

1. pommom

pommom Comrade

Sep 25, 2015

I went in for an English High school position at a new private school that just opened up a month ago. The interview was this morning and I got an offer on the spot. This is my only teaching offer I have ever received and I took it.

The catch is that the salary is only $21,000. This is extreme low, but I understand because this school just opened up a month ago and its a private school. I have only been job searching for three months, but I am barely getting any interviews so it is exciting to get a job offer. I am in the Texas alt cert program to teach English.

Pros- It is an actual teaching position, I can get experience with this job to later apply elsewhere. It is close to my house

Cons- pay sucks and I would be loosing money but leaving my current job, my teaching probation to become a certified teacher won't count because this school is not accredited yet, they want me to start this Monday in 2 days which gives me no time to prepare and I have no idea what the classroom looks like...

Even though I told her yes, I have not signed a contract yet, I can still back out and need to do so asap today. And I wrong for not taking it, after all I am a alt cert with no teaching experience. Need advice please

3. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Sep 25, 2015

If it feels right, take it. At the very least it's a resume bulider for a year and next summer you can search for a better position.

4. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Sep 25, 2015

They're taking advantage of you! If it were to count as your needed accreditation that would be one thing, but it doesn't.

Hopefully,you can find something else. Experience yes, but at a really shiesty price.

5. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Sep 26, 2015

I don't understand how this is taking advantage? It's a new private school, getting accreditation takes time. The poster knows this ahead of time.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 26, 2015

It's almost October. If you want a job this school year, take it. Mid-year openings are few and far between.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 26, 2015

Because you haven't had any other offers, and barely getting interviews, you might want to take this job. Interviews do slow down this time of the year, October through about January is probably the slowest, so there's not a big chance you would get a job offer. Having an alt. certification makes it harder.
    Yes, the pay is very low, and they're not accredited, but you will learn a lot, it will be 1 year experience, and it will look good on a resume, so I'd say take it. In March when jobs become open, start looking for jobs at public schools, and this position will really help you.

8. pommom

pommom Comrade

Sep 26, 2015

Going to this interview, I knew the pay was not going to be good, but I did not expect it to be that low. I had to decline. I want to take it but I can't. I need to be able to pay bills and take care of my son and I can't with that salary. I will just stick with my current job and take subbing jobs when I can.

9. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Sep 27, 2015

I would only take it if it counted towards your certification. The salary is para salary around here then add in insurance, taxes, etc :dizzy:

You just want to be a teacher right now. BUT you're not jobless. You have a job that pays and can support you so you can hold out a bit more.

10. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Sep 28, 2015

Agreed! Sooo much work goes into being a teacher. Obviously we're not teachers for great pay, but all that work for so little pay is demeaning.

My first teaching gig was at a charter school (kinder). They hired me as a long time sub for the duration of the year from about Oct. and told me I'd make $80/day with no benefits. I accepted it for the experience, that is---- until they came around and said after I'd been there a few weeks---"$80? You must be mistaken, we said $75/day".

Now, tell me that's not taking advantage of the situation.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2015

Personally I wouldn't take this job if it didn't count towards certification. The pay is terrible--like, you could make more working at Best Buy.

Still, a job is a job. If you want it and if it feels okay, then do it. Be prepared to supplement your income with a part-time job, though.