need advice: accommodations in the classroom

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by teach41, Jul 15, 2007.

1. teach41

teach41 New Member

Jul 15, 2007

I will have this high school student in my class for the 2nd year in a row and would like some advice on how to better suit her needs. I am a regular education teacher in a private school, but I have a student who has had multiple concussions/a major head injury due to sports. She receives various accommodations in the classroom through an individualized accommodation plan which includes having extended time on tests. However, many of the accommodations have not worked for her/my class. My concern is with her memory/attention problems (there will be times when she completely zones out or has trouble following lectures). I would like some advice on how to continue to teach normally, but to also address her needs at the same time. She is a very bright student who has been faced with new challenges and I would like to help her out as best as I can. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

Basically, what i am is asking is what would be some good accommodations for someone that has short-term memory loss, processing speed problems, and attention/ concentration problems in the classroom?

3. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

I certainly don't teach anywhere near your level, but I have had special needs students whose disabilities included difficulty with staying on track and understanding expectations. We had rotating voluntary "peer partners" (usually higher-level learners) who would sit with the student and help/guide/intervene.

I don't know whether this approach would be appropriate for secondary, but it worked for elementary, and my students were eager to assist. Overall it taught them to be sensitive to the needs of others, and I think that the students who were in my classes the years I used this approach will be more understanding adults.

I'll pray that you'll find the exact thing that works with your student!

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

- photocopy a peer's notes for her
    - provide written instructions for all assignments, homework, etc.
    - record lessons for her to listen to later
    - if providing extra time for tests doesn't work, give a shorter test that can be completed in the period
    -

5. bridge

bridge Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

*Definitely copy another student's notes for her, but have her take her own notes also. It will help her to practice, and won't allow her to sit and twiddle her thumbs (if she is inclined to).
    *Draw and/or use pictures during your lectures- don't use only words. Be careful with puns, idioms, and other figurative language.
    *Walk around during your lectures, making it a point to get near her fairly often to assess how she is doing, to make eye contact, and to touch her (head, shoulder, hand) to help her stay attentive. This is such a controversial subject, but students need appropriate touch!
    *Review the goals/objectives you have for your students, then whittle them down to bare-bones for this student. Keep her academic goals very basic and make them very clear to her.
    Was this girl fine before her "sports injuries"?????? Scary....
    How wonderful to have a reg. ed. teacher care so much! I know there are a lot out there, but I've run across so many who really just want the "different" students anywhere but in their rooms.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

Ain't that the truth!

7. teach41

teach41 New Member

Jul 17, 2007

Thanks everyone for all your advice! I am sure that these things will help not only her, but a few of my other students too! It is scary because this girl was an above average student before her injuries (1st injured in 8th grade...and now going into 11th), but now she is barely passing my class! Also, thank you for those kind words. As a teacher, I want to see all my students succeed... even if some of them just need a little extra help. It hurts me to see this girl struggling because I know she is frustrated that things are much harder now after the injuries and I want her to know that she can succeed in high school/whatever she goes on to do!

8. bridge

bridge Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

MrsC, I like the quote you posted about first making peace with who you are. Have you ever seen a poster with it? I think I'll make one, unless it's going to get into copyright problems. Who is Doris Mortman?

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

This quote was sent to me by a dear friend and colleague when I was going through a difficult time professionally and personnally. I'm not sure where it's from, but it has helped me tremendously.