Need advice about student teaching/interning in CA

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by SueHue, Jun 12, 2005.

1. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

Jun 12, 2005

I would GREATLY love to hear about your experiences, and maybe even to get some advice.

I am just about to graduate with my bachelors (it only took 15 years of part time schooling to finish!!), and I have yet to apply to a credential program. Friends, family members and people who love to tell me what to do have said that the traditional student teaching programs are a waste of time. One person told me they just give you busy work. I'm told that nothing will prepare me for my first class. I'm told it would be in my best interest to go for the intern track.

From the little I know about it, this means you find a school district that is willing to hire teachers who haven't completed their credential yet. You work as a full time paid teacher with your own class, and you have a mentor that helps you three hours a week. At the same time, you are completing your credential classes.

I would like to hear which path others have chosen, why they chose it, and how prepared they felt. As I have limited classroom experience (and no kids of my own, which seems to be a mark against me), I feel that becoming an intern will be like playing with fire. I feel like I need more time and schooling to build my confidence. However, when my own family members say that I'd be wasting my time, it makes me rethink my plans.

All I want is to be the best teacher I can be. What do you think? :confused:

3. TeachGrd1

TeachGrd1 Rookie

Jun 12, 2005

I should start out by saying that teaching is not like other careers where you can just get thrown into. It takes a lot of hands on experience with kids to really get the feel of things. There is enough uncertainty your first year teaching without making it even harder on yourself by being ill prepared. I'm not from California but from my point of view, I must admit that student teaching was the one thing that I really did learn from in school. There is nothing better than being in the classroom with the help of other more experienced teachers. I could never imagine getting a job and having any idea of what to do without all of the observation hours, field experience and student teaching. Another point to look at is many states are in a hiring shortage. California is suppose to be extremely tough to get a job in the nicer areas. Are you willing to work in a low socioeconomically school, or does that matter to you? If where you are trying to get a job has a lot of qualified, certified applicatnts than the chance of getting hired on provisional is extremely slim. I'm sure that some people can get thrown into teaching without proper training, and handle themselves completely. I just wouldn't reccomend it to anyone.

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 13, 2005

I learned more from student teaching than anything else I did in school. I just graduated and have not found a job in my own classroom yet, but I feel much more prepared to be in my own room now than I did a year ago before my pre-practicum and practicum field experiences (at my school we need to complete student teaching before receiving a Bachelor's degree). Are the people that are telling you that student teaching is a waste of time teachers? During my four months in the classroom I gradually took over teaching all of the subjects, had full control of the classroom with NO help from my cooperating teacher for 3 weeks and throughout the semester helped with after school tutoring, planned a family science night and "bingo for books" after school. I got a TON of experience and with less pressure than just being thrown into a classroom on my own. Granted, as a student teacher you do not get paid and that can be tough. It's not easy working a 30hr+ a week job and not getting paid and still trying to work to pay the bills, but I wouldn't change my student teaching experience for anything. Of course, you need to decide what is best for you, but I think that you will gain much more experience and be much more prepared if you go the student teaching route.

5. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Jun 13, 2005

First things first, if you plan to teach in CA the CSU's will not even let you into the program without passing the CSET & you will not get any internship without it. That said, once you are in a credential program then you look at being an intern. It can happen very quickly. If you are in the LAUSD area they have specific programs for beginners like you. Research, research, research before you decide. Also try subbing to get more experience.

6. RLucas

RLucas Rookie

Jun 13, 2005

I am in CA also and in the midst of the credentialing program at National University. You need to meet with your credentialing advisor before you can decide weither to student teach or intern and there are so many classes you have to take before you can be pre-intern. The big factor also is you have to pass the CSET before you can have your own class. I personally am going the intern route hopefully but it really depends on the person and the subject you are wanting to teach. I am planning on teaching math which is high demand. Good Luck!