Need advice about current job

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by tinytotsteacher, Sep 13, 2010.

1. tinytotsteacher

tinytotsteacher Rookie

Sep 13, 2010

I need your advice! I have been with my current employer for the past 6 years in a licensed childcare center. We are under the local school districts non- certified union contract. I am considered a teacher by the state DHS qualifications for childcare center staff. I have my AS in Early Childhood Education and will have my AA in December. Last year my director informed us due to budget issues because of moving to a larger space, that if more then one teacher was in a room, then the teacher with lower seniority would have to have their pay dropped to assistant teacher wage. This did not effect me, as I was the only staff in my room at the time.
    After being in a room alone for 9 months with 7 young toddlers, 5 days a week for consistency. I asked for a break this past summer. I was feeling disconnected from my co-workers, and stress from working alone with no help from any one. My room was within ratio. I asked my boss to move me to another room for the summer, and that I would like to return in the fall. I knew in the fall the room would be switched over to an older infant room with 2 staff. She was fine with that, and told me I would have to take a pay cut and be placed 2 days as assistant. I was fine with that since it was for the summer.
    Three weeks ago she approached me about the fall session(started today) and what my plans were. I told her I expected to be back in my regular room as discussed last spring. She wanted to keep the person in there she had used as my replacement, and was I flexable about day off and room? We normally work four 9.5 hour days. I was flexible except stated I wouldn’t want to work with a certain staff(no body does!). Schedule came out Friday before labor day, a week late, and she had me 1 day teacher, and 3 days assistant. I approached her, and told her I needed my teacher pay returned. Last Thursday night she presented a new schedule at our orientation, and I was pulled from the one room and put down to assistant in another. I approached her Friday, and she stated she would have to talk to her boss. Well, she did, and they aren’t returning my pay, and I may be moved in December. Two weeks ago she said that I definitely would be teacher in December. She didn’t have the guts to even talk to me on Friday or today, I found a note in my staff mailbox this afternoon after she left for the day.
    What would you do? I am third in seniority, and there are 3 people with 2 years or less and no degree(non-qualified teachers) who will receive teacher pay. I have over 300 hours accumulated sick pay, and 60 hours of vacation. That is the equivlant to 3 months income for me. I am tempted to quit, and in January go to school full-time instead of part-time as planned.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2010

If you can be assured that they will pay you for all that accumulated leave, going back to school sounds like a nice idea.