Need a tile subsitue idea?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Seich30, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Aug 25, 2003

I'm wanting to make some individual activity math games using game pieces with numbers or shapes on them that the children can sort. I'm thinking that the little tiny bathroom tiles is about the size that would work, but would probably be too expensive. I'll need about 300 to make a class set. I know that I could make on construction paper and laminate, but I was wanting these to be thicker and easier to handle. Any ideas???? Thanks in advance for your help.

3. miss karen

miss karen Comrade

Aug 25, 2003

Check your local art supply store, they may carry small wood tiles that could be used (like scrabble tiles) or they may have a good suggestion. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!!:D

4. miss karen

miss karen Comrade

Aug 25, 2003

... the wheels in my head have been turning on this one... a few other ideas:

In another thread there was a discussion on making name tags, someone had suggested using plastic file folders and cutting out the name tags and putting on the names with permanent marker.They come in a variety of colors.

You could probably get that rubber foam stuff for fairly cheap, you know the stuff used in art activities. It is flexible and durable, you could buy various colors and cut out different shapes, write on it with permanent marker, etc.

... if I think up any more ideas, I'll post 'em!!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 25, 2003

Poker chips from the $1 store work well. Find an old set of Cuisenaire rods or a place value set and use the one's cubes. Use inexpensive stickers and cut them while they are still stuck down.
    In the office supply section they have brightly colored dot stickers used for identifying file folders.

6. MDMontessori

MDMontessori Companion

Aug 29, 2003

We use those those flat type rock things you find in a craft store. They comes in many different colors. They are usually in a mesh bag with alot for $1.00.
    Eileen

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Aug 29, 2003

tiles

Also, check tile shops for closeouts and discontinued tiles. They can actually be very very inexpensive.

8. Shawnmarie

Shawnmarie Rookie

Aug 29, 2003

Home improvement stores like Home Depot carry those tiles on mesh sheets, they're pretty inexpensive. I bought them the last time, and if you ask, they'll give you a nice discount.

9. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Aug 29, 2003

You can buy inexpensive vinyl placemats that are solid colored. You could write on them with a permanent marker and cut them into whatever shape you like. This is a lot less noisy and not as heavy as the class set of tiles. However, it would require more work. You can get the placemats at dollar stores for 4 for $1.

I don't know if you get Highlights info. in the mail, but you can get free products from them, like math manipulatives, for around 15 student responses. Whether or not your students order doesn't matter, only if you send Highlights the slips that say 'no' and the ordering info. for those that want to subscribe. Just a thought!