Need a system for check out of the classroom library

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mdee, Jul 27, 2008.

1. mdee

mdee Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

What type of system do you use for keeping track of students checking books out of your classroom library? I currently have a sheet of paper where the students put their name, book title, check out date and then the check in date when they return the book (which they usually forget to do). This doesn't seem to be working for me. :down: Since I teach 5th grade, the students usually have the book out for about a week or more. The students forget to check in the book and sometimes even forget to check out a book. I slowly seem to be losing my classroom library. I would appreciate hearing if you have a better system.
    Thank you!

3. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

I'm not sure if this is better because I may have lost some books last year too...its worth a try though.

I had 4 students who were librarians. I divided the class in 4 and each of the librarians got a few students. I told the class who their librarian was and that they would have to go to that student during reading time to check out books.

Each librarian had index cards with the students' names that they were in charge of. On the index card I taught them how to write the name of the book and the date that the student checked it out. I instructed them not to let a student check out a new book unless they showed them the book they were turning in.

Once a student found a book they liked they could go to their librarian (as long as they weren't with me in guided reading) to check out their book. I put my top readers as the librarians because I did not meet with them as often.

I only did this system for the last half of the year. My librarians were pretty responsible but I'm not sure if any students got away with not "checking out" their book.

4. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

I cut business size envelopes in half to us as book pockets and made a card for each book. I had a file box with a tab for each student. Once a day I, or a responsible student, would do check outs and ins. Cards go behind name of student checking book out. It wasn't perfect, but it worked pretty well.

5. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2008

I have a medium size index card holder in which students each have a large index card. They write the name of the book they "check out" and cross it off when they "return" it. The class librarian checks on Fridays to make sure students still have the books and where they're at.

6. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

I agree MDee, the write your own thing didn't work. What I'm trying this year is this...
    I made a bunch of bright orange shelfmarkers and laminated them. When a student checks a book out, they write their name and date on one of the shelfmarkers. Then they take the book and replace it with the shelfmarker. Since they are bright orange, it lets me see how many books are out at a time. Plus, it allows my kids from the past few years to come by and check books out! Don't know how it'll work, but I'll let you know!

7. stevesgirl

stevesgirl Companion

Jul 27, 2008

I use CollectorZ. It is a software program that keeps track of all of your books. You can buy an optional scanner, which I did, and you then scan in all of your books. The program downloads a summary of the book along with a picture of the cover. I entered the shelf location and the lexile level. The kids then check out books using the program. I get a printed report from my student librarian every day showing who owes books. If they need more time I just change the due date. It costs around 75 dollars with the scanner, but I figure I'll save that in lost books! It also helps me quickly locate a book a student is requesting. You can also try it for a while for free - collectorz.com

8. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

I did the same thing you did last year, with a list, and having the students write down what book they take. As my personal library grew, though, I began to see books start to disappear. I decided this year I would do similar to the "old" library system. I bought pockets and glued them to the inside cover of my books, then labeled index cards with the title, author, and AR level to put in the pockets. As students check out books, they will write their name on the index card then put in "check-out" box. I like the idea of having a student librarian, though, and I might try to incorporate that.

9. peridotylayne

peridotylayne Companion

Jul 27, 2008

Stevesgirl

Did you ever compare Intelliscanner with CollectorZ? I really want to buy one of these, but I'm not sure which one to go with. Is there a specific reason you went with CollectorZ?

Also, I was looking at the website and noticed they have a portable laser scanner but with the software it costs $199.90. Does the CueCat scanner work fairly well? Or should I go with the laser?:thanks:

10. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

Jul 27, 2008

I am going to incorporate a librarian this year and some way to keep track of the books. I haven't decided between a log book or a card system. I am thinking of an index card for each student in a card box. I had no system last year and I lost about 30 books! As a new teacher with only about 250 books, losing 30 was a big loss to me.

11. stevesgirl

stevesgirl Companion

Jul 27, 2008

I didn't look at Intelliscanner. I went with Collector Z because a friend recommended it. The Cue Cat works pretty well, but a lot of books have to be manually typed in because they don't have a bar code (older books or Scholastic books). It only takes a second to enter them either way. I'm sure the laser scanner is better than the Cat, but it's a lot of money! Once you have them all entered, you don't need the scanner anyway.

Hope this helps!

12. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Jul 27, 2008

You can buy barcode scanners on ebay for very cheap, including the cuecat.

13. peridotylayne

peridotylayne Companion

Jul 27, 2008

Never really looked carefully at the Scholastic books.. which means I never noticed they came without a barcode :blush: I know Intelliscanner sells barcodes that work with their scanners, but the whole system costs $149.99 CollectorZ would be cheaper overall. Thanks for the info and sorry for the hijack :sorry: