Need A Project Idea

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Sep 21, 2011.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 21, 2011

We are doing projects this year by grade level. They are supposed to do an advanced level product based on a way to solve a community problem.

Any thoughts? I'd love to do something like the homeless or unwanted animals but I think those concepts are too heart-breaking for our little ones to handle.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2011

How about a canned pet food drive for a no-kill animal shelter?

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 21, 2011

It's not so much a community service project, as much as them coming up with a solution to the problem. There is going to have to be some kind of product. But thanks czacza.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2011

So what do you see as problems in your community?

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2011

What about doing something for a nursing home or veteran's? Do you know how much the people in the nursing home would love to get cards, pick some flowers or make something special in class.

I think you are right it may be a little much for K for the animals, but so worthy....

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2011

Is there something you can do with respect to the drought in Texas?? I'm not sure just what, but I bet there's something kids can do. Maybe even make people more aware of conservation through a poster contest or something???

8. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 21, 2011

We did a recycling project just two weeks ago (1st) and the kids go SO into it that they started getting on to me every time I would throw a paper away.

Outside my window at school there is a tree that has plastic bags in it from people tossing things out their windows going down the road. My kids saw that and the need/want for recycling was even stronger.

The movie Wall-E definitely helps too.. I had one little boy say "Well if we don't recycle and save water, then we'll have to live in space and be fat people like on Wall-E cause there won't be any trees left."

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 23, 2011

Thank you very much for your suggestions!:thanks:

Alice-I don't know why I didn't think of the drought-that certainly does effect us tremendously. When I turned in that idea however, another grade level had already snapped that up. :(

We're going to adopt a senior living center (thanks Diznee). Discuss with the kids how the people there get lonely and have them design their own center-- make a model (collaborating in groups) with ideas of special rooms they could have, etc.

I'm excited-I think the kids and hopefully some seniors will be able to benefit from it and it still incorporates that higher-level thinking they wanted to see.

10. mkate

mkate Comrade

Sep 24, 2011

This is so neat! I love the idea of the students working to come up with a solution to a real problem.

11. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Sep 24, 2011

What a great way to instill compassion for the elderly in our youngsters!

12. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 24, 2011

How about having your K's make No Littering signs to post in parks? They can write the words and draw pictures. You can laminate them. Maybe there is a park your class can walk to and hang them up.

Then, learn about compost, recycling, and where garbage goes. You can visit a community garden (compost) and the trash facility! (ours does school tours of the recycling and trash plant ).