Need a picture frame idea

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Butterfly4, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Apr 17, 2006

I'm looking for a cute picture frame project I can have my kids make for Mothers Day. Anyone have a good idea that isn't too expensive?
    thanks

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

4. maz

maz New Member

Apr 17, 2006

take old puzzle pieces,lightly sand and glue onto a board. Drizzle metallic paint over the puzzle pieces. They look good on the cardboard or "picture" side. Good luck maz

5. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Apr 17, 2006

My bf's mom and I have fought over the puzzle piece idea- one year we had many of the same kids in my Sunday School and her kinder classes, and we'd both done that craft for years. She ended up getting to do it that year...
    It turns out really cute though.

6. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Apr 18, 2006

You can make them out of that colored foam stuff from the craft store and put magnets on the back. Kids decorate with a variety of things.

Roll clay flat with a rolling pin, draw designs or touch with cookie cutters, or use pin and roll over leaves and flowers to make designs (remove the flowers). Cut into a properly proportioned rectangle, fire, glaze, fire.

I don't know if it would work with preschoolers but you can also make magnet sized picture frames with that plastic that you cut and shape. I don't remember what it's called. It comes in multiple colors-even metallics in flat sheets. Back when it was in it was popular to make jewelry, pins of women with fancy hats on (kind of cameo-like but a lot more colorful), earrings etc. It was a popular craft like 13 years ago. I don't even know if it's sold anymore. It's not shrinky dinks but that might be neat too.

The old stand by of gluing together popsicle sticks. You'll either have to print off the correctly sized photos if the frames are square or play with the sticks and overlap them so they turn out the right rectangular proportions.

7. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Apr 18, 2006

Check www.Orientaltrading.com they have projects that are inexpensive but even if you don't use thier items, the ideas they have can be applied to things on hand.

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 18, 2006

You could also try going to www.crayola.com . That site is a life saver for me.

9. smileyd

smileyd Comrade

Apr 18, 2006

How about each student gluing four popsicle sticks into a square? At each corner the could tie a bow with a small piece of ribbon, and glue to its center a small flower.

what about cutting for each student a cardboard picture frame shape. Students can paint (or you can in advance) and them they can decorate in any number of ways. They can wrap with ribbon or fabric around the entire frame, paste pictures of flowers from seed company catalogues, paste tissue paper squares?

10. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Apr 18, 2006

11. 4Lisa

4Lisa Rookie

Apr 18, 2006

We usually do one for Fathers day. We go to the dollar store and buy a 100 piece puzzle and use the pieces to frame the picture, then we use the phrase "I love you to pieces, Daddy" They are one of my favorite ideas and very easy and inexpensive. Sometimes we paint the puzzle pieces, but usually we like the look of the odd pictures on the pieces. It gives it a unique look. Good Luck!!

12. holt

holt Rookie

Apr 20, 2006

We are making our mother's pictures of their children on ceramic tiles this year. We bought clearance boxes os tiles from lowe's. We took black and white's of each child and modge podged the pictures on. We used the crackle effect on some of the tiles too. This was beautiful, but was too much for 70 kids. All of them look beautiful.

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 20, 2006

Glue anything onto cardboard or popsicle stick frames: shells, beach glass, buttons, ribbon, tiny silk flowers.