Need a new tote bag

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Maryhf, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2010

We always have a thread like this each summer I think. 5 years ago, I bought a great tote bag at an Eddie bauer outlet store for $20 and it's finally wearing out. Ideally, I'd love the same bag but I can't find one. Mine is made out of the same fabric as backpacks with a zipper on top and 2 mesh end pockets as well as several other pockets on the outside and inside. I don't need it to double as a purse (I just grab a wallet and put it inside) so it's just for school stuff.
    Any ideas? BTW, I'm a little cheap.;)

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 1, 2010

OK, well before I actually read your post (when I just saw the title), I was going to suggest Seatbeltbags. They are pricey, but are stylish, extremely durable & come in many various styles & colors. (I have 3 myself):

http://www.seatbeltbags.com/viewallbysize.html

4. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Jul 1, 2010

Honestly, I really like the tote bags from LLBean or Lands End. You can get your monogram on them and you can choose what color bag and handles you want.

5. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jul 1, 2010

I was given a Vera Bradley bag for use as a school bag. I really like it, but they aren't really cheap. It is pretty sturdy, though, and holds a lot.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 1, 2010

Lands End has their bags on sale this week. I love mine. I have the medium sized one, and it's plenty big for what I need. The large is the size that many people get, but it was way bigger than what I needed.

They have lots of colors and you can have them monogrammed.

I also have several Vera Bradley bags. I like them, too, but they are more expensive and don't wear all that well.

7. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2010

Thanks for all your great suggestions! I love the seatbelt bag design but I'm afraid I can't make myself pay that much. I've been drooling over the Vera Bradley bags but haven't convinced myself yet.

8. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2010

I've got the big Vera Bradley toggle tote and I love it. I bought it last year to match my purse, and since it was a discontinued pattern it was 50% off, and Crabtree and Evelyn had another 50% off that weekend, so it wasn't horrifically expensive. It's got six inside pockets and two on the outside. I was at the mall yesterday and noticed they had a bright floral for 50% off...hmm...

9. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2010

Lots of great choices on ebay! For some reason, I never thought of looking there.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 1, 2010

I get a lot of my Vera Bradley on eBay. It's a great way to find discontinued and rare items. I also found a really cute pink monogrammed tote on there.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2010

If you're a Vera Bradley fan, hit their website. Take a look at the discontinued patterns. They're normally discounted significantly.

I've gotten some great Christmas presents for my kids and my nieces that way!

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2010

13. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2010

Ooh, Mrs. C., that's a beauty! One of those bags that will get better with age.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2010

15. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jul 2, 2010

I got a market tote from Built NY at TJ Maxx. I really like it because the handles are soft and a little stretchy so when you have a lot in the bag it doesn't hurt your hand.

http://www.builtny.com/bags-reusable-shopping-bags/market-tote.html>

16. newbeeteacher

newbeeteacher Rookie

Jul 2, 2010

Maybe off-topic, but what do you (general you) carry in your large tote bags? Do you bring student's work home for the day or other supplies in there?

17. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2010

Oh, great...thanks for the Vera sale link. I just went to see and "HAD" to buy two, one for me and one for my dd's birthday in August.

18. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 2, 2010

I like the Vera Bradley stuff too, it does go on sale fairly regularly, espcially when they discontinue a pattern.