Need a new job chart for primary...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by heavens54, Sep 6, 2014.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2014

I'm in third. Need a new one. My old one won't do now. Do you have a job chart that's easy, fast, fair, and fun? Would you share it?

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 6, 2014

I don't post my jobs. I just use a spreadsheet and just move the list down by a kid every week so it's fair.

4. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2014

How do the students know what their jobs are?

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 6, 2014

I tell them. I keep it on a clipboard on the back table. Some kids like to look when they are going to be their favorite job. I think they also like knowing it's totally fair and everyone gets to do every job. I have the job chart made until October.

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 6, 2014

I just have a helper at each table; they change weekly.

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 7, 2014

I made my job chart using the library pockets that I got from a teacher store. I write the students' names on index cards. There are 10 jobs. Each week the person with the last job moves off the chart and a new person goes on. Every week the names shift one to the right. So, you have a different job for 10 weeks and then no job until your name is back on the chart. The jobs I can recall off the top of my head are:
    captain (line leader, messenger, pick a morning greeting or game for the rug)
    lunch count
    attendance
    doors and lights (walks at the end of the line and turns off the classroom lights when we leave)
    book bins and shelves (makes sure the classroom library looks neat and clean)
    pencil sharpener (sharpens 5-8 pencils in the morning for the "shared pencil" cup)
    pinch hitter (covers for any absent person who has a job)
    class binder (we have a binder with student names and emergency contact info that goes with the class to specials, this person is responsible for bringing it there and back)

The kids like that it moves down the line so every child has a chance for each job. If you have a large class and you don't want them to have to wait too long to get on the chart, you can always split the "captain" type job into a few more. Maybe get more like 12-13 jobs on the chart. I put the library pockets onto poster board and have it hanging up. I keep the unused index cards in my desk. I also have them numbered in case they get out of order.

8. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2014

I just have laminated picture cards with the jobs and laminated name tags. I put them on the door to my closet. It will be easy to change since everything is laminated. We made pictures to go with our classroom theme. Very simple.