Need a new behavior management system!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by myKroom, Jul 18, 2013.

1. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jul 18, 2013

I teach K and in my 7 years I've used a stop light (red, yellow, green) type system and then switched to a clip chart system that allowed students to move up and down based on behaviors.

Quite honestly...I'm just tired of it! I'm looking for something new, but I don't know what. What other ideas are out there?

3. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jul 18, 2013

I've seen a baseball system---3 strikes and you're out.

But the others I've seen are much like the ones you've already used.

4. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jul 18, 2013

I've seen some teachers use Class Dojo which is an online behavior management system. It allows you to designate positive and negative behaviors. This online system always provides data based on behaviors, and you have the option of emailing weekly reports to parents.

I toyed around with this idea, but it works best if you have a compatible tablet or phone with WIFI. My school does not have WIFI, nor is my P a big fan of utilizing cell phones during school time, so I opted out of using Class Dojo.

http://www.classdojo.com

5. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jul 18, 2013

Zelda, that's what I noticed too! I'm struggling to find something new!

Giggles, I used Class Dojo for a few weeks last year. The kids really liked it, but I need to play around with it more.

Thank you both!

6. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Jul 18, 2013

I used Class Dojo for awhile last year to along with our school system of moving pins, color changes, whatever you want to move/change.

My kids loved Class Dojo and it did work, but I had trouble keeping up with it. I also had trouble with the parents punishing their kids when they got negative points against them which defeats the purpose. I tried to explain to the parents that the Class Dojo points did not effect their conduct grades.

7. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2013

I loved class dojo but I had issues with it working all the time towards the end of the year. Sometimes it didn't work on my phone, only on my ipad, sometimes it only worked on the phone, sometimes not at all. I want to keep using it but I need some sort of back of plan.

My students got a consequence when they had 4 or more negative points in 1 day. It allowed me to always address their negative behaviors without always giving a second chance like I felt like I did with the color changing. Yet they could get 3 negative points and it would still be an okay day. I let less go and therefore they acted out less.

A certain number of positive points in a week was good for a prize. The students who had the least number of negative points in a month got a bigger prize.

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 19, 2013

I spend a lot of time explaining expectations, modeling and practicing. After I have explained something once you get one warning and then either a chance to practice again or a consequence. I can't keep up with clips, clothespins or tickets. I am famous for my line, "I will honour your choices". (I think I got it from someone on here!)

As a whole class there is usually an incentive (i.e. marble jar) that I use to encourage everyone to stay on task and support the class.

9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 19, 2013

Fred Jones' Tools For Teaching has been by far the best for me. The program is described in his book Tools For Teaching by Fred Jones.

10. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 19, 2013

I am using clips but I am going to post my rules and if a kid breaks a rule they will put their clip on the rule they broke. I have used clip charts, but always forget what the kid did. I give awards for those who don't have to move their clip daily and weekly.

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 19, 2013

I have used clips and flipcards. Dojo changed my life. I will NEVER go back to the old systems. I suggest you give Dojo a whirl.

12. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 19, 2013

I'm going to try to use a Monopoly reward system this year....

but I'm not exactly sure HOW yet. :/

13. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 19, 2013

This was exactly me when I taught elementary school. I switched to secondary in part to get away from clipboards and stoplights and cards and things. It's so much a part of elementary schools here that not doing g it was not an option. I was so bad at that part of my job, and am much happier not having to do it anymore.

14. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jul 19, 2013

That's my problem...I have a terrible memory and am not good at writing it down somewhere what they did!

Dojo allows you to monitor it right away...I'm leaning more towards that. So all of you Dojo users, what do you have for the behaviors...did you keep the generic ones that dojo gives or did you change them up?

15. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2013

I changed some/left some.

My positives were:
    -Following directions
    -Hard Work
    -Helping Others
    -On Task
    -Participation (this one I wasn't so good at remembering to use)
    -Quiet in line (very popular one)
    -Ready to transition (for the first few kids ready to come to the rug, etc.)

My negatives were:
    -Did not reset (when the kids' got a negative point they were simply asked to "reset yourself" which meant to put their head down for a minute until they were told to come back, if they ignored it they got an additional negative point and an automatic note home, this was rare.)
    -Disrespect
    -Distracting/Bothering Others
    -Fighting
    -Not following directions
    -Off Task
    -Out of seat without permission
    -Talking

Next year I might add something for missing/incomplete HW and classwork assignments just because it would make it super, super easy to keep track of who doesn't do their work and report it to parents.

16. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 19, 2013

I use a positive learning grid chart with 100 squares. Each student has small round adhesive stickers that they write "their" number on. Good behavior, listening correctly, good comments from other teachers, completing homework, everyone completing their work allows individuals or the whole class to put stickers on the grid. If negative behavior occurs a student puts an X on one of his stickers. If a student doesn't have any stickers on the chart I just make a notation on a pad and the next time the student earns a sticker he does not place it on the grid. On Friday we pick from the positive learning pig by drawing corresponding chips that match the grid coordinates. Students love this and it is very easy to do. I just have to put up a new grid sheet each week. 5 weekly winners get various "prizes", a homework pass, one free seat work sheet, choose a free book, sugar free ice pop or sit in teacher's chair for the day.

17. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 19, 2013

For Dojo, my +/- sometimes change during the year, depending on my needs/behaviors and the class as a whole.

Positives:
    Awesome listening
    On task
    Working like it matters
    Teamwork
    Helping others
    Interacting peacefully
    Following directions quickly
    Treating others with respect
    Creative thinking

Negatives:
    Off task
    Talking
    Disrespect
    Disruption
    No homework (I use this only if kids do NO homework, not if they do some...I assign Math, reading log, and spelling each night)

I think that's all of them. Sometimes I add a +/- temporarily, such as No Pencil, when I was having a major issue with that....

18. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2013

I find you don't always need a "system." Just set good procedures and routines and be consistent with your expectations. Pull a child aside to discuss anything inappropriate or, when warranted, develop an individual behavior chart if needed. When necessary contact the parents (either via a note or phone call).

19. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 19, 2013

I'm excited, I think I'm going to give it a go this school year.

20. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 19, 2013

That's exactly what I do. :thumb:

I don't really have a "system." We have school-wide "expectations" (not "rules"). If the students aren't following an expectation, I re-teach. I will sometimes stop in the middle of a lesson to review expectations with the whole class. I will also pull a child aside or keep him in for recess for a few minutes to discuss behavior. The child is almost always involved in coming up with a solution to the behavior problem.

Personally, I would never go back to a system where students move clips or flip cards for consequences or prizes. It's just so much easier for everyone to expect mutual respect, and have mature conversations when behaviors arise.

21. ejh

ejh Rookie

Jul 19, 2013

I'm new to forums and your ideas are all very exciting! I, too, have trouble turning cards and keeping up with who did what. At another teacher's suggestion with my 4th graders last year I placed the task on them. At each serious or repeated misbehavior the student moved to a table at the back of the room and filled out a form: What did I do? Why? What could I do differently next time? Date and Name. They filed it under their name and returned quietly to their seat. Later we talked. It was beginning to work and I had data for conferences. :)

22. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jul 19, 2013

We have school wide expectations as well via PBIS. I'm thinking ClassDojo but plugging in the PBIS expectations. I want to use Dojo more for myself and the documenting more then anything.

The other thing about clips that has bugged me the last few years is that everyone knows where everyone is! With Dojo I can keep track, but not necessarily post it for all the kids to see. I'll just pull kids over as needed.

23. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 19, 2013

I have a stack of "cards" on my desk. When a student earns a consequence, I place a card on his desk. My consequences are: 1 card = lose 5 mins recess (in the pm it's PAT Time); 2 cards = lose 10 mins recess and note home; 3 cards = move desk; 4 cards = loss of fun activities; 5 cards = time out in another classroom.

NOTE: I don't take more than 10 mins. recess. Also, I go over the procedure for this system repeatedly and in great detail the first week of school and review it after any lengthy break. Kids know they can't touch the cards, throw a fit, or ask about it during class time. I don't beg, lecture, or belittle children. They make a choice and I honor their choice.

I also give Caught Being Good tickets for good choices and let them choose a reward that costs a specific amount of tickets. There are specific times they can cash these in.

The most important part of this management system is to be consistent- don't give extra chances or be afraid to give cards to normally well behaved kids. Also- give cards quietly- no explanation needed...no verbal reminders. The consequence speaks way louder than any words can. Hope this helps- it has worked wonders for me!