Need a new Beginning of the year "hunt" idea

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by stig, Jul 11, 2012.

1. stig

stig Rookie

Jul 11, 2012

Every year on the first day my students go on a hunt so they can meet the other teachers, students, etc. and become more familiar with the school. I have done the gingerbread man hunt, but moved that to Christmas time because I wanted to do something new. I did a hunt trying to find a house for hermit crab, and the last few years we did a treasure hunt. At the end the students dig up treasure boxes buried in the playground and then get to paint and decorate them. I've done this for the last 5 years and am wanting something new again. Any suggestions?

3. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 11, 2012

Scavenger hunt? Hunt animals around the building? Maybe hunt things related to your curriculum, like numbers or colors or shapes?

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 11, 2012

Going on "A Bear Hunt" would be fun.

What if you went looking for Corduroy's lost button?

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2012

Tasha... that's a great idea...
    What about something with Clifford...like a dog treat.
    Could you do something with clues from Blues Clues.
    Help Dora fill her pack pack with school supplies...

6. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2012

I actually do 3 or 4 days of missing letters. Letters from our classroom alphabet disappear and we have to find them. Over the course of a few days we find our O in the office, our N in the nurse's office, our L in the library, our B in our buddies' room, and our M is with our custodian (his name begins with an M).

Each day I read an alphabet book (beginning with The Letters Are Lost) and then we go through our alphabet and figure out which letter is missing that day. We talk about what sound it can make and then brainstorm where it might be.

We talk about what the letter looks like. I write the upper and lowercase letter on a small whiteboard.

Most of the time early in the year my students don't guess where the letter might be so we set off walking though the halls. We ask other adults we seen in the hall if they have any idea where it might be. When we finally find our missing letter we spend some time in that place (the nurse talks to them about what she does, for example) and then we find our way back to our classroom.

The students LOVE it every year and are always disappointed when no more letters disappear.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2012

The Olympics will coincide with the start of school in many places. How about a hunt for a gold medal?

I have no idea about Kindergarten curriculum, but you could tie it into geography-- put up a big map and put a thumbtack into each country mentioned in the news. First, the gold medal hung (including each nation that has at least one) Then,during the year, you could selectively talk current events, and put a tack in for each country you talk about in class.

8. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

9. melnm

melnm Companion

Jul 12, 2012

Love your idea, sevenplus! I am going to try that with my pre-k kids this year!

10. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jul 15, 2012

I have a jungle theme kinder room. On the first day, I show my students a picture of our class pet (a monkey) but he is missing. I made up clues to go around school trying to find them. I give clues to secretary, principal, nurse, lunch ladies, etc. The children wear safari hats. Last year I got monkey head pieces. He ends up in the library sitting next to a book about jungle animals reading books that I read to them when we get back. We then name our pet monkey.

11. stig

stig Rookie

Jul 15, 2012

These ideas are great! Thanks so much! Now to try and pick which one will work best:)

12. K-1 Teacher

K-1 Teacher New Member

Jul 25, 2012

Nursery Rhymes

I leave a piece of a nursery rhyme from a flannel board set at each place we visit. We talk about the pieces and try to decide what they are and what the rhyme might be. I usually use Hey Diddle Diddle because it has several pieces. I open the flannel board to tell the nursery rhyme and all that is there is the moon. Then I explain that is time to go on our adventure around the school and maybe we can find the pieces.