need a little fun

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by tinadog, Feb 21, 2009.

1. tinadog

tinadog Rookie

Feb 21, 2009

My students are burned out on test prep and paper and pencil activities like the 5 paragraph essay ect. We have played several games involving acting out vocabulary, using inference to figure out a setting I describe out loud, and the suitcase inference activity. They loved these so I am looking for more ideas for listening and dramatic activities. Can anyone help?

3. peachacid

peachacid Companion

Feb 21, 2009

Power Teaching had an interesting idea about using the 1000 most used words in English as a game. I don't remember where on the website I saw it, but it's there...basically the kids are in pairs, and they have the lists of words, and they have to say them, correctly, as fast as possible, alternating between the kids. When I can get the materials I will do this with my 6th graders.

4. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Feb 21, 2009

Set up a jeopardy game using a pocket chart. You can use the format for vocab, spelling, math facts, etc. You can do individual or teams.

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 21, 2009

The game is called SuperSpeed 1000.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 21, 2009

Make a Boggle board on the white board - use either letters or numbers. They must connect 3 or more letters for words, or 3 numbers for equations.

Make a grid big enough for every student in your class. Put various answers (can be used for any subject) in the boxes. Each student puts his/her intials in a box. When you call out questions, the kids find the answer box. The student whose initals are in that box must erase it - and is out. You can make the game go more quickly (less time for students to sit around once theyre out), use a smaller board and have 2 students initial each box.

Play Blurt. You call out a definition and students blurt out what word you are defining. Great for a 5 minute filler activity.

Team math problems. Kids line up in teams. Each team gets a computation problem (make all problems equally difficult). One student at a time performs a step in the problem. If a teammate sees a wrong answer, he/she may use his/her turn to correct it.

Get stacks of trivia cards, a set of Brain Quest questions, and call out. You can have kids compete in teams (get a bell to ring - they love that) or the whole class can blurt out the answers. My kids love presidential trivia.

Mad Libs is a great way to practice parts of speech. It can start off the day with lots of laughs.

Set up a pocket chart with cards to match. This isn't just for lower grades; they can be any subject.

Let kids create their own game boards to review subject areas, spelling or vocab. Somehow, their own games always look fabulous to them.

I make sure and do at least one game a day, as well as group activities.

7. tinadog

tinadog Rookie

Feb 22, 2009

Thank you for all the great ideas! I'm not clear about the pocket chart though.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 23, 2009

Use it for a matching game - prepare cards about your subject area - pair up dates to events, definitions to vocab words, etc.