Need a laptop donated

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jlj, Jul 31, 2007.

1. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 31, 2007

:help: I am in need of a laptop computer with printer, internet accessible, that can be intranet as well as taken home to work on. I'm in a small faith based school PK3 -8th grade and do the Before/After school care posting and billing by hand. We would like to intranet (school uses Quicken for tuition, etc.) but because of my schedule I usually spend time every other week-end handwriting billing statements at home :| . Time to come out of the dark ages but we are a small non-profit school that operates only on tuition and donations. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! It would be helpful if I could get one within the next week because we need to get everything set up before teachers return to school, I'll be too busy after that. If you know of a program that would be better/easier to use and we could use with Quicken, please let me know. Thanks!

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 31, 2007

First, you could use QuickBooks (made by the same company) to keep MUCH more substantial records in -- it will also work with Quicken.

Second, the only way I can see this happening is (1) you approach local businesses to see if they can donate the laptop and software or money for them, or (2) If the school is part of a church, you could approach your congregation for donations.

Sorry I couldn't be more help!

4. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 31, 2007

I have a desktop pc, but not a laptop. I wish you luck.

5. MsTeacher

MsTeacher Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

Our school provides each teacher with a laptop.
    Can you write a grant for one? I realize you won't get it soon, but at least you would be preparing in advance for next year.
    My other offer would be for you to purchase a laptop to take back and forth to school. It sounds like a computer would really make your work easier so it seems it would be a good investment for you.
    Before our school started providing us with them, many of us purchased our own for home and brought them back and forth to school.

6. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 1, 2007

pwhatley- Now that you mention it, it may be Quickbooks they're using, they made some changes again so now I'm not sure.

MsTeacher- Sounds like you must be in a public school with the school supplying all teachers with a laptop! How fortunate you are!!
    Like I said, we rely totally on tuition and donations for everything. Most of the computers we have are now dinosaurs. I actually would rather have my own personal laptop, but can't do it.

I'm thinking I'll check with Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc.
    Any other suggestions from anyone?

7. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 1, 2007

One of my friends tests beta products for companies . . . and she gets to keep the items she tests. Some companies also have donation programs. Often their websites will have information, but it can be hidden on their pages in small print.

Good luck!

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2007

Dell has them as low as $499.

I do NOT recommend a Compaq. Avoid one at all costs....

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2007

Write a grant?

Get many Scholastic points? (I have 3 colleagues who have gotten lap tops this way...)

Truthfully wouldn't we all love a free laptop?:D