Need a Job! Help with my cover letter?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mr. zen, Sep 1, 2008.

1. mr. zen

mr. zen New Member

Sep 1, 2008

Hi, I'm really trying hard to get a job teaching this fall... hopefully soon! Any pointers on how I could improve my cover letter?

Dear Sir / Madam:

Hello, my name is Mr. Zen. I am a thirty-six year old male seeking a teaching position in your school and/or school district. I am confident that I will be an asset and would appreciate your reviewing the enclosed resume that describes my experience, education and teaching skills.
    Accepting challenges is the foundation of my life experience and something I do with confidence. You will find that I am a totally committed individual who is enthusiastic, flexible and caring. I provide a safe and welcoming classroom environment through which I nurture a desire to learn in my students.
    My Bachelor of Education obtained at X University has given me a thorough knowledge of what is required to be a successful teacher. My employment at X ESL School, my practicum at X Elementary and volunteer experiences at X Elementary and XElementary have enabled me to hone that knowledge into a skill set through which I can implement effective student learning. I advocate active participation of all students and strive to provide provisions for individual differences. My lessons are engaging and dynamic and are designed to maximize student involvement.
    While in the Faculty of Eduation at X University, I specialized in the Language and Literacy program and obtained the Teaching English as a Second Language Certificate. I have 156 hours of instruction in the disciplines of Applied Linguistics and Teaching English as a Second Language. The X University TESL certification also includes a 20 hour supervised practicum. Since October 2007, I have been employed at X ESL School through which I have gained a great deal of experience and knowledge. This has enhanced my ability to meet the needs of ESL students.
    I also have over 15 years of real world experience in music playing guitar and bass guitar in various music ensembles. I would welcome the opportunity to teach music in whatever capacity is required.
    I have acquired the experience, skills, and knowledge necessary to become an effective educator. I have wanted to be a teacher for many years and it’s a great privilege to have an opportunity to realize this goal. I have a great amount of enthusiasm for the teaching profession and I believe this enthusiasm, as well as my skills, knowledge, and experience, will help me to be an asset to your school.

I’m looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Mr. Zen
    :thanks:

3. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Sep 2, 2008

Lots of great information. I would say a bit too much in fact. I don't think it's necessary to include the number of hours that you worked in different fields or your age and gender. However, the requirements may be a bit different in Canada?

Besides that, it looks like you're on the right track. I may even be a bit more adamant at the end of your letter by stating your phone number right in the last paragraph. Also, if you can tailor your letter to a particular district/school by telling them exactly why you would be a great fit for their school, this is a huge plus.