need a few ideas for a non-traditional setting

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by luv2teach, Aug 4, 2003.

1. luv2teach

luv2teach Rookie

Aug 4, 2003

Hi all. I'm a teacher in a court-based children's center. during the months of Sept-June, there is a GED program which takes place up within the building. Now the parents who cannot afford childcare bring their children to me where we stay with them from 8:30-12.

My first year here I pretty much let the children play (learn) with educational toys. However, this year I would like to make it a bit more structured. I'm stuck on how to start of the first week. These children will vary in age (0-4 years old). I was thinking about a welcome theme.

How can I make these children feel comfortable yet teach them at the same time. SHould I still leave the majority of their time with me playtime?

My schedule is something like this. 8:30-9:15 freeplay, 915-950 circle time,, 950-1045 work period 1045 breakfast, 1130 circletime 1150-exercise period, 1210-1230 freeplay.

should I leave it the way it is and just make it a bit more structured and educational?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2003

What do you do during your circles and work period? You could do some thematic teaching/books/song/calendar activities during circle and then activities during work periiod that go with theme but teach some school readiness things (cutting, some letter writing/recognition, counting...) Maybe during free play you could have a few learning games or centers related to your theme.

4. luv2teach

luv2teach Rookie

Aug 4, 2003

during circle time we read stories, and/or sing songs. FOr work period we do arts & crafts, color and other hands on activities. It's hard to work with cut and paste with the younger children since their still developing their motor skills.

5. Shilo

Shilo Rookie

Aug 4, 2003

My humble suggestion is:
    8:30-9 Free Play (whole group)
    9-9:30 Circle Time- good morning/welcomne song, simple calendar, who's here/who's absent song/game (whole group)
    9:30-10:45 Free Play/Small Group-while the class is at free play you pull small groups by age/ability for projects, games, lessons, this way the activities can be taylored to the ability of the group
    10:45-11:30 Breakfast time (whole group) (wasn't sure if this was set time or not)
    11:30-12-Circle Time (whole group)- read stories/do finger plays while food digests, and then music and movement(exercise)
    12-12:30 Free Play (whole group)- free play until parents arrive

6. AJK

AJK Pre-k Montessori Teacher

Aug 4, 2003

Are your toys and play things set up in areas or centers? You could do some sort of a center-based curriculum with even the youngest kids.

7. luv2teach

luv2teach Rookie

Aug 5, 2003

centers

The room has very few centers. we have dramatic play area, infant/toddler area, library area, meeting area, puzzle area, boardgame area and manipulative area